EJR Beads

Author Topic: Makins Extruder  (Read 14285 times)

Bonipie

• Boni
Re: Makins Extruder
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2014, 03:36:13 AM »
I don't know either why the dies come in the disks.  Maybe they are easier for them to handle, maybe easier to machine, maybe cooler looking.  I know that after I remove all of the dies from the discs, I'll store them with all of my other dies on magnetic sheets.  The dies are a bit snug in the extruder, but I've been able to put them in and take them out of the extruder.  My cutters are big (not the biggest) and seem to be cutting the tabs very well.  And, with a bit of care, cut them flush.  I haven't had any paint come off.  I don't try to cut them out of the disk, I twist them out of the disk, then just cut the tab.

Hugs, Boni  8) in Wonderful Yuma, Arizona

jembox

• Jan the Man In Cincinnati, But still call PA.Home
    • jembox's FLickr Page
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2014, 08:53:33 AM »
Yes  I did it like you Boni

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2014, 08:10:01 PM »
Kari,
This is a must.  I love my Makins Stainless Steel extruder.  You don't use it everyday, but when you need it, you need it.  I bought mine on Ebay for $17 with extra dies-I didn't even know what an extruder was, but thought I would want one, being a tool person.  I have my clay play day tomorrow with 'The Yuma Triangle' (our group of 3 clayers here in Yuma) and all I'm taking is clay, my extruder, and some 'ball' tools.  I'm going to make inchies.  I'll post photos.

Hugs, Boni  8) in Wonderful Yuma, Arizona where I'm going to be extruding all afternoon tomorrow.

Excuse me, but what are 'inchies'?  And where are the posted photos?
FranOnTheEdge

Bonipie

• Boni
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2014, 11:26:28 PM »
Hi, Fran,
This was quite a while ago.  My inchie became a 16 inchie.  I started making a 4"x4" slab using 'inchie' techniques.  I was going to cut the 16 inchie into 16 inchies.  (1 inch x 1 inch squares.)  I decided I didn't want to cut up the slab.  So, I bought a ceramic tile from the hardware store and mounted the 16 inchie.  Attached is a photo.  If you go to my Pinterest link in my signature, there is a board for Inchies which will give you all sorts of ideas.  The board does not have just inchies, but also some items that have techniques that would work on inchies.

Hugs, Boni

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2014, 11:32:23 PM »
Fran - Inchies are often made for swaps - at workshops and other get-togethers  :)

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2014, 01:45:14 PM »
Hi, Fran,
This was quite a while ago.  My inchie became a 16 inchie.  I started making a 4"x4" slab using 'inchie' techniques.  I was going to cut the 16 inchie into 16 inchies.  (1 inch x 1 inch squares.)  I decided I didn't want to cut up the slab.  So, I bought a ceramic tile from the hardware store and mounted the 16 inchie.  Attached is a photo.  If you go to my Pinterest link in my signature, there is a board for Inchies which will give you all sorts of ideas.  The board does not have just inchies, but also some items that have techniques that would work on inchies.

Hugs, Boni

Oh WOW Boni!
That's beautiful!  No wonder you didn't want to cut it up.

Where did you get those nice glass stones?  if they are glass.  How big are they?  I can only find little ones.  But I know bigger ones are possible, as I have one larger one. Left from many years ago.
I've tried searching under: glass nuggets/glass pebbles/rondels/cabochons - I've even tried putting in the size I want, but I can't find them anywhere.
The only ones I've found are 18mm and I wanted more like 23/ 25mm or even 30mm. and I'd prefer uneven shapes to perfectly round and identical.

Okay, I'm off to look at these 'inchies' now.

(another thread found, Thanks Emma)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 01:47:01 PM by FranOnTheEdge »
FranOnTheEdge