EJR Beads

Author Topic: Klear  (Read 7580 times)

Di

Re: Klear
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 10:22:07 AM »
I got my Klear from Sainsburys but it was a while ago.

Di

noani

• Eva
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 12:05:01 PM »
Maneged to find the old clear in a store..two bottles :) And i'm guarding them with my life...well almost ;) And had a friend who went to USA and bought a bottle of Pledge ( think it's the same as old Klar) The new one is NOT klear, has a milky look , does it give the ame shine?. It's the same all over the EU due to restrictions and forbidden additives.
Usually i prefer sanding and polishing with Renaissanse wax but some tecniqes needs the Klear/Pledge and some beeds/things that can't bee sanded.
By the way, just trying out Emmas dip and spinn ...wow that was a good one!

Di

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 05:29:06 PM »
If I've put a very thin layer of Klear on a pendant and baked it is there anything to stop me putting wax over the top? I suppose I should try it on something but just wondered if anyone else has done it? I haven't used the klear for shine, just a little bit of protection.

Di

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 06:34:08 PM »
I don't forsee any problem with doing that Di - but I haven't tried it either. The only way to be sure is to try it - and maybe with a test tile first if you want to be uber-cautious

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

ladamemo

• bury treasure
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 07:37:49 PM »
right, so i found some klear in my local wilkinson's unfortunately only 1 bottle but still it should last a while i'm guessing!!

i've read people saying about baking between coats, do you have to do this? what is the best way to do it?

i'm a klear virgin in need of help!!  :P
carrie - nuts but not a nutter!!

shelleym

• ShelleyM
    • ShelleyM
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2011, 11:13:42 AM »
One bottle should last a loooong time. I hadn't realised they'd changed the formular otherwise I might have tried to get another. My bottle must be about 8 years old and still have about 1/4 of it left.

Some prefer to dip, some use a brush, or make-up sponge, some use a finger to coat. It dries really quickly with thin coats, so can be difficult not to get brush marks on it. I prefer to use a finger just quickly all over. Then leave to dry. I don't tend to bake between coats - some people do. I just keep applying thin coats until I get the shine I want. One coat is sort of semi-gloss, not really shiny. When I bake I usually leave the piece overnight to thoroughly dry out before baking. If you bake while it's at all damp it will bubble (speaks from experience here). Then I put it in the oven on low - about 100 for about 10 mins. Doesn't need long to bake into it. Don't know how long and what temp other people do it, but that's what I do.

My suggestion is to do a few practice tiles to see how it works for you. Room temperature can make a difference on how quickly it dries. Always worth an experiment or two with a new product to see how it works for you as everyone's take on things varies.
Hope that helps a bit.
Shelley

LizzyClare

• lizzy's beads on Facebook
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2011, 01:56:02 PM »
Just a warning if you are baking after using Klear. I did this the other day with a batch of beads. They were on concertinad paper but unfortunately they rolled together so they were touching in the oven. The result - the Klear went sticky and came off where the beads touched and also took off the mica powders that were on the beads.  :(

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2011, 04:45:16 PM »
I've never baked any varnish. Personally I don't see the point. I tried test tiles both ways around and found no positive to baking the varnish, only the negative of it creating an extra step.

I just treat varnish like other acrylic products. Let it air dry for a full 24 hours so the product fully cures rather than just being touch dry.

But - lots of people do swear by baking the varnish. So its always worth trying these things out in case you personally find you get some mileage from doing it.

Just rest assured that you do not *have* to bake Klear or any other varnish. Air drying is quite sufficient, but do allow it time to fully cure.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies