EJR Beads

Author Topic: which one gives a more realistic look?  (Read 3252 times)

Nafta

which one gives a more realistic look?
« on: September 16, 2013, 07:52:22 AM »
Hey,
Hubby has been experimenting with different gold clays and with mica powders but have never tried the inka paste. Of course the advantage of the inka paste is that it can also go on baked pieces but which one gives a more realistic gold or silver look? Also, can someone tell me about the surability of the colour? Does it last forever or does it fade or come off with time?
Thanks again!
;)

Janine

Re: which one gives a more realistic look?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 08:37:52 AM »
Sorry never seen or heard of inka paste. I will keep watching this thread to find out more.

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 04:32:24 PM »
Inka-Gold wins hands down for me.
I haven't had anything l've made long enough to be sure that the finish will last - after all, it hasn't been out very long!  I usually add a coat of Klear floor polish anyway.

I use it on the raw clay then very often add more after baking.   It gives a lovely bright colour, quite metallic, certainly more than gold colour clay which has a tendency to look uneven when you use it for modelling, for example,  due to the mica shift effects - of course, that property is desirable at other times!

Mica powders can give a good deep metallic look and l think have a "softer" look than Inka-Gold - more glowing, less garish, or something.  Again they need sealing with something like Klear. 

Another possibility is guilders paste - that's been around a long time.  It is wax based. Apply it to baked clay (only), allow to dry thoroughly then buff up to a good shine.

Nafta

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 09:45:43 AM »
Thank you girls for your advice...looks like we have some more homework to do! excellent!!  ;)

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 05:29:01 PM »
In my limited experience using guilders paste l don't think you get a very intense colour. 
Inka gold is a very solid coating - in fact if you changed your mind you can add layer on layer till you like the result!   
Mica powders are lovely, though  :)  l think you can get a better silver look with pearl white rather than the actual silver  - that's using Pearlex though - l haven't got many colours in Perfect Pearls.

Not sure any are going to look like "the real thing"  ;D

Nafta

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 11:00:44 AM »
Carrie again thank you! I think soing to stick with mica powders and try a few more things. :)

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 04:59:03 PM »
If you apply mica powders with your fingers rather than a brush you can burnish it into the clay quite well  :)