EJR Beads

Author Topic: Building a website  (Read 2118 times)

Bev

• Bev
    • Tamar Jewellery and Beads
Building a website
« on: September 05, 2013, 08:40:59 PM »
Ok. Huge subject I know. Dipped a toe into the www ocean (with both the jewellery & leatherwork) via a free site with Weebly. Very simple drag & drop around set templates, but limited options particularly when it comes to basket options. I resorted to doing the jewellery "p&p included in the price", but the leatherwork ended up as just a portal with links to my Folksy site. There was a way of creating buttons & options in Paypal & then importing that, but it seemed a pain so settled on the already mentioned solution.

However, neither site is doing very well, so would I be better off building a "unique" site? Would it give more leeway/options for SEO & hopefully more visitors?

If so, the biggest obstacle may be cost. Absolutely skint, so is DIYing it an option - using free software? Any suggestions for software or am I going down the wrong road completely?

Help  :o

Tails

• Tails Vlography
Re: Building a website
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 10:30:57 AM »
I've never worked with Weebly, but I've found wordpress.org (not the .com) is easy to setup and they have hundreds of widgets you can go through to find a shop system you like.

Wordpress.org allows you to customise more than Wordpress.com, but you have to have a hosting server for it (either self hosted or through a hosting company), I think Weebly host your site on their server, yes?

Finding a skin can be challenging, but there are hundreds of free skins for Wordpress.org and although it's blog software, it doesn't have to reflect a blog layout.

For creating from scratch, I use Visual Basic or Notepad but I do my own websites from scratch (although I'm using Wordpress for this one, still in the process of setting up a shop http://www.ratanooga.co.za).

Hope I made sense lol

Tails

• Tails Vlography
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 10:33:16 AM »
Hmm, have you tried looking at Joomla btw? Another one I havent used, but people I know have mentioned they like it. That and wix.com :)

Bev

• Bev
    • Tamar Jewellery and Beads
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 12:03:44 PM »
Thanks for the replies Tails. It's so useful to get personal experience of sites/programs/hosting services etc.

There are so many differing opinions when you start searching online & you never know whose to trust. Certainly some review sites must have an eye on advertisers/sponsors when giving their "frank, unbiased & impartial" opinions - yeah right  ::) :D

Weebly isn't a bad site, it's free, easy, lots of templates, free, customisable &, did I say, free? But...I wonder how well the SEO side of it works compared to a "designed" site, or maybe I'm not doing it correctly  ???

Also, as I said, I'm struggling to implement a custom basket system that allows for differing postal charges. My leatherwork items range from a keyring to a 1 foot square clock  ::)

I shall go & check out the ones you mentioned when I get some more time later  :)

Estelle

• www.fimogame.com
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 01:32:21 PM »
On my side I've also tried Wix which is a good alternative to Weebly. It's free as well so I recommend you to test it - maybe you'll prefer.
As for me I just have a Tumblr that I have designed to be kind of a website. I wanted to have a design less "organized", meaning not just 1 page with a menu, but something like a gallery. I'm quite happy with the current look. :)
So I would say depending on what you want to display, you might consider other options as "regular websites". Something like a blog might be better if you want to show directly your latest creations.
My 2 cents. ;)
FimoGame (aka Estelle) www.fimogame.com
Playing with polymer clay: colored figurines and YouTube channel!