EJR Beads

Author Topic: Question about making sculptures  (Read 2057 times)

Valvaren

Question about making sculptures
« on: August 30, 2013, 05:23:25 AM »
I've had a few people looking for me to make larger pieces but i'm terrible at painting not to mention I haven't even tried sculpting on a larger scale. Is there a way for me to make something with a wire frame and foil with super sculpey and then with sculpley three or premo over it? Like sculpt it then bake it then add the colored clay and bake it again? Or do I have to paint it?

Does anyone have any tips on getting into full sculpting and painting?

Elizabeth Campbell

• Elizabeth Campbell Jewellery
Re: Question about making sculptures
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 09:49:01 AM »
Hi,

How big are the pieces you're planning to make?

Yes, you can make interior armatures out of wire mesh, foil, or even papier mache (or a light polyclay such as Sculpey Ultralight), and then cover the exterior with a decorative layer or veneer of polyclay.  If the interior shape you're working on is not completely firm you might want to consider covering it with a layer of strong clay first before covering with a decorative layer.

Will these large pieces fit in a domestic oven?  If not, it is possible to cure polyclay (especially thin layers) quite effectively using a heat gun, but I found that took a bit of practice and would suggest experimenting on some scrap clay first.... 

Valvaren

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 04:41:36 PM »
I could have swore I replied to this :(

They would fit in a conventional oven for sure. Would it be safe do to super sculpey bake that and then add regular polymer clay such as sculpey 3 or premo or would re baking it burn the super sculpey?

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 09:17:00 PM »
You can re-bake as often as you need to  :)

Elizabeth Campbell

• Elizabeth Campbell Jewellery
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 07:51:05 AM »
You can re-bake as often as you need to  :)

Yes indeed! 
Most of the things I make get baked a dozen times or more because I make them in stages. 

But I've read somewhere (here, I think...?) that some folks find that translucent clays get less translucent the more they are baked, and that some colours/brands may darken slightly.  I've not had this problem (or maybe it's happened but hasn't altered the look of the piece sufficiently to be perceived as a problem?)....