EJR Beads

Author Topic: What other Art/Crafts do you do?  (Read 17995 times)

JonB

• JBDRusticOrganic on Etsy
Re: What other Art/Crafts do you do?
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2014, 08:54:23 PM »
Brilliant, Fran ;-) I love the sound of the plasticene animation your Dad did of Rameses!
All the other stuff sounds great too. Eclectic is the only way to be. Though, actually, just doing one thing and sticking with it will get you further in life ;-)
As for me, writing and illustrating is my main thing. The 'Economic Crisis' of 2008 impacted on publishing in a big way but I tick over. Royalties from past glories help. .
I have always done all sorts of things as side interests, very occasionally even generating small amounts of money.
I am a good bass player, but never been in any band anybody would ever want to have heard of. I co ran a small, dodgy recording studio out of the house I shared in Streatham, so I can mike up a drum kit and know my way round a mixing desk ( archaic items they are now, but back in vogue, my friends son just bought an old one for his computer set up. .) From that I got into sampling and sequencers, on the computer of course. Never did anything that went further than my studio though. Story of my life.
I was very into fractal generated landscape software for ages, I was a sort of beta tester for the now defunct Mojoworld for a while.
I used to sell 3d textures on a site called Renderosity. I now use the bits of 3d software, perversely, to make 2d textural images.
I taught myself the ins and outs of Photoshop and suchlike, messed around with web design until it stopped being just HTML, (!) have recently learnt Adobe Illustrator enough for my purposes.
I got into photography a few years ago, but quickly tired of gear talk and 'good photography', admirable but it didn't do anything for me. Got into the Friedlander/Winogrand/Eggleston arty type stuff and still take pics but in my own mundanely poetic style ;-)
I've sold a couple of glass coasters of my computer patterns recently and need to seek out more galleries that might stock them, I have an Etsy shop dealing in them, they're not exactly flying off the shelves though I get lots of faves etc. . .

So when I found polymer clay it made some sort of sense, to me anyway ;-)
Jon

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2014, 08:59:01 AM »
Brilliant, Fran ;-) I love the sound of the plasticene animation your Dad did of Rameses!
All the other stuff sounds great too. Eclectic is the only way to be. Though, actually, just doing one thing and sticking with it will get you further in life ;-)
As for me, writing and illustrating is my main thing. The 'Economic Crisis' of 2008 impacted on publishing in a big way but I tick over. Royalties from past glories help. .

I forgot writing, no publishing though.

I have always done all sorts of things as side interests, very occasionally even generating small amounts of money.

That last bit is the part I could never get the hang of.

I am a good bass player, but never been in any band anybody would ever want to have heard of. I co ran a small, dodgy recording studio out of the house I shared in Streatham, so I can mike up a drum kit and know my way round a mixing desk ( archaic items they are now, but back in vogue, my friends son just bought an old one for his computer set up. .) From that I got into sampling and sequencers, on the computer of course. Never did anything that went further than my studio though. Story of my life.

You sound like my brother, his bedroom was overflowing with decks for this and that, foot pedals, mixers, even a theramin, I wish I could get that to work. But he did make a little from that, not much though - he called it chicken feed, one of his bands was called something like that, chicken house?  I must ask Jules his best friend, next time I see him.

I was very into fractal generated landscape software for ages, I was a sort of beta tester for the now defunct Mojoworld for a while.
I used to sell 3d textures on a site called Renderosity. I now use the bits of 3d software, perversely, to make 2d textural images.

I've heard of Mojoworld, never tried it though, I'm into Bryce7 Pro, Wings3d, and Cinema4d rel 10, got that while at Uni, but casn't afford the upgrade now.

I taught myself the ins and outs of Photoshop and suchlike, messed around with web design until it stopped being just HTML, (!) have recently learnt Adobe Illustrator enough for my purposes.

Ditto photoshop from Uni days – got CS4 can't afford 5 or 6, I got the suite though so I still have Premiere, Effects and Soundbooth etc – very handy.

I got into photography a few years ago, but quickly tired of gear talk and 'good photography', admirable but it didn't do anything for me. Got into the Friedlander/Winogrand/Eggleston arty type stuff and still take pics but in my own mundanely poetic style ;-)
I've sold a couple of glass coasters of my computer patterns recently and need to seek out more galleries that might stock them, I have an Etsy shop dealing in them, they're not exactly flying off the shelves though I get lots of faves etc. . .

So when I found polymer clay it made some sort of sense, to me anyway ;-)
Jon

You know polymer clay doesn't sound like it automatically leads on from all that – but hey, I found it too.

My biggest stumbling blocks are:
a) believing that anything I make is sellable and
b) jumping through all the hoops that places like Renderosity and Daz3d put in front of you before you can begin.  That's what puts me off, it's so frustrating and depressing!!

I've got a nice set of lanterns in different styles and a little harlequin doggy I'd love to sell in 3D, but I can't get past all that guff.  You watch, it'll be the same with clay.
FranOnTheEdge

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2014, 09:46:41 AM »
Once upon a time I used to know my way around a mixing desk - I went to college in the building that was to become the Brit school. So in the time before it opened, we had all the facilities to hand and all the teachers and techs on staff with nothing to do except share their stuff with us. Forgot absolutely everything about it though, since it wasn't really in my natural field of interest.

Also used to play a bit of bass too, since there was a bass teacher there also sitting around doing nowt. Decided I would stick to the piano though. I get all the decent bass I need listening to JJ from the Stranglers.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2014, 10:40:42 AM »
Oh yes, that's another thing I've tried - playing guitar.

Caused immense hilarity with my eldest daughter Samantha and my husband who happened to be in the dining room while I was trying to follow a video cassette on the TV of Bert Wheedon, it seems I was telling the video off when it was trying to tell me how to play a bar F.

Relief came shortly after that when I managed to thrust my hand, fingers first, into the wall of the house at some speed while carrying shopping bags - got myself a commpression fracture of one of my fingers, index I think - that ended guitar playing for quite some time - pity really, I could do Smoke On The Water, no probs!
ROFL!
FranOnTheEdge

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2014, 03:35:15 PM »
Ouch, Fran  :o

I don't do any other crafts now, but l do play guitar, melodeon and bouzouki  -  have done for many many years - folk music.
We have weekly sessions with friends and we also run a music/folk club in the village pub once a month so l'm having to try and find my singing voice which got lost way back  ::)

JonB

• JBDRusticOrganic on Etsy
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2014, 03:54:48 PM »
Great stuff Carrie! My sister and her husband (and two sons) are out and out folkies. Morris dancing, Cropredy, multi instrumentalists, guitar making, beards (except my sister) etc etc. We have great sing songs at Christmas ;-)

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2014, 04:08:52 PM »
Sounds good, Jon!

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2014, 11:29:31 AM »
Brilliant!
I love music - terrible at it, can't even remember who sang what, but I can hum it.

Sort of. Lol!
FranOnTheEdge

Milly Fury

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2014, 10:21:37 PM »
I was a radio presenter for ALLFM, here in Manchester, for three different regular shows (not at the same time). I researched stuff, talked a lot, interviewed people, played music etc. - it was fun! I gave up last year, when my co-presenter left Uni and moved home.

When I lived in Brighton (about 10 years ago) I was a stand-up comedienne (did about 90 gigs) and wrote for a monthly (stage) review show, which played to about 1000 people per month. I actually got paid for those things but not much.  ;)

Recently I write for the church magazine and try to be funny. I even wrote about polymer claying.  8)
“To require perfection is to invite paralysis" Art & Fear.
https://www.facebook.com/tornupart?ref=hl

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2014, 10:53:05 AM »
Wow - how cool!

I never knew we had celebrity in our midst! You're clearly too modest!

Emma

Milly Fury

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2014, 12:20:46 PM »
Hahaha! Well "too modest" isn't an accusation I've had to endure much. And as for "celebrity"... We had a secret slogan at ALLFM "Relax, nobody's listening anyway".  ;D

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2014, 02:47:08 PM »
Milly, you have a very cool history!! I agree with Emma, you are too modest.  Love your slogan BTW!  ;D

Mel  :)

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2014, 04:19:31 PM »
I adopted a similar approach when writing my books. After a while and after having edited the proofs for the umpteenth time you get to thinking "why am I bothering? No one reads the words anyway, they only ever look at the pictures"

Emma

Karolina.S

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2014, 07:32:49 PM »
Cool :)
Timrå in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

Milly Fury

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2014, 09:49:14 PM »
Cheers guys! I admire anyone who can write a book Emma... I have a little bit too much of a "rag-bag mind" as my father used to point out. Maybe I could write a book for kids but I think it would end up as one that accidentally encourages them to be naughty (because I secretly think being naughty is funny). I'm a terrible mother.  ;)