EJR Beads

Author Topic: What other Art/Crafts do you do?  (Read 17996 times)

Amazon_warrior

Re: What other Art/Crafts do you do?
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 03:46:26 PM »
When I could still see what I was doing I used to paint teeny tiny little soldiers and play with them......

colonial 016 by britishlinescarlet, on Flickr

DSCF0055 by britishlinescarlet, on Flickr

2010-06-03 063 by britishlinescarlet, on Flickr

DSCF0026 by britishlinescarlet, on Flickr

DSCF0113 by britishlinescarlet, on Flickr

DSCF0030 by britishlinescarlet, on Flickr

And I also used to paint in oil.... I will pop up some photos at some point if I can find them.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Those are lovely Peter!  I've done some wargaming and roleplaying myself, and still have a sizeable lead mountain that I keep vowing to return to at some point.  Some of my better efforts can be seen here.

I like sewing generally, and have made my own dresses in the past, but I'd say my main forté is large flat things.  Currently I'm quite into patchwork and quilting (though so far I've done a lot of patchwork but almost no quilting!).

Cotton bed-throw:

Cotton lap-size quilt:

Silk cushion with patchwork made from charity-shop finds:

(This one was sort of a proof-of-concept effort - I've since made others that are a bit more colour-coordinated.)

I'm also working on a wedding quilt for my sister.  She and her husband have now been married almost 2.5 years! :o

I also have a severe bead addiction and have had for a long time.  Unfortunately I have a terrible habit of buying beads I think are pretty, but with no clear idea of a specific porject to make with them.  As a result I have an awful lot of beads for which the only common theme is that they made me go "Ooooo SHINY!" when I saw them.  ::)  Recently I've been picking up the occasional beading magazine to encourage me to actually make things with all my beads.  I'm not sure if it's helping or not though!  Our dining room is currently a mad storm of fabric, beads and polymer clay, with no signs of it clearing any time soon!  :p

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 05:17:43 PM »
Those are beautiful!  Lucky you to find silk stuff in charity shops 8)   The rainbow is gorgeous!

Peter

• Because together we got power
    • Mango Fizz Creations
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 06:34:20 PM »
Teeny weeny little people rock!!!!!  Love your work Amazon!!!!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Amazon_warrior

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 10:56:32 PM »
@Carrie - Thank you!  My top tip for finding silk in charity shops is to check the ties and scarves sections.  ;)  I did get really lucky with a couple of dresses and shirts, some of which I actually bought to wear and have had good use out of.

@Peter - Thanks!  I do love my tiny weeny men!   8)  Though I did cringe a bit when I looked through my CMON photos - makes me want to dig out my brushes and minis again (and try and take better photos).

Tails

• Tails Vlography
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 08:37:39 AM »
Card making (not for ages though!)
Cross-stitch
Baking
Photography
Vlogging

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2013, 04:01:58 PM »
you talented bunch!

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Jess R

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 02:16:40 AM »
WOW i've only just seen that quilt, how gorgeous!!

Milly Fury

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2014, 07:17:31 AM »
So many lovely things here! My partner used to manage shops for Games Workshop, so it was fun to see other painted figures :). And lots of people have dabbled in paper mache, which is what first got me back into crafts.

I used to do knitting (slowly) then I didn't do much making for ages. More recently I took up paper mache, baking salt dough Christmas ornaments, decorating peg dollies, making cards (with PC embellishments)... And then the Fimo took over everything!

I also have a box in the corner with a brand new felting beginner's set in it. I'm delaying opening it until I have spent more time claying and learning the art of caning and PC jewellery making.
“To require perfection is to invite paralysis" Art & Fear.
https://www.facebook.com/tornupart?ref=hl

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2014, 08:13:16 AM »
"and then fimo took over everything"

Yes... So often the way  ;D

The felting sounds cool though, I've seen some really cute felted beads and pendants that would be so cool to mix up with polyclay beads

Emma

The Indignant Bunny

• The Indignant Bunny
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2014, 03:15:00 AM »
Wow! I love how creative everybody is :D

I love painting with water colours and taking photos.

SMLIRAS100

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2014, 04:01:51 PM »
I'm always doing something, can't keep my hands quiet. I like to Knit, I take something to knit in my car for when I wait for my children to finish their afternoon classes. I also do patchwork, and love the quilting part. I would like to know how to sew and make clothes but I think I  would take too long to finish the pieces. I like to paint and I'm starting to paint with oils and acrylics on fimo. It relaxes me. :) :)
Latest patchwork on my flickr:

Las dos mantas terminadas!!! por smliras, en Flickr

IMG_4035 por smliras, en Flickr

Billski

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2014, 04:36:27 PM »
I am a photographer, here are a few shots of my work

thanks for looking

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2014, 10:23:34 AM »
What beautiful and imaginative images Billski!

Is the little girl a relative of yours? What lovely images for her to keep as she grows up.

Emma

Billski

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2014, 10:53:36 AM »
Thanks Emma, this is Chloe she is my partners daugther. She is 10 now and quite the beautiful princess. Chloe loved the Disney princesses and it was a project to capture her as various fairy tale characters. All shots are photoshopped with various layers and masking.

FranOnTheEdge

• Illuminati
    • Fran's Crafts Website
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2014, 07:01:36 PM »
Um... how long have you got? It might be easier – shorter certainly – to ask what haven't I tried?

Here goes: I've done knitting, knitted four squares, two big ones, and two little but long ones, sewed them all together leaving a slit in the top of the two big ones for my head.  A jumper.  Not a particularly good one.
End of knitting.
I've done paintings were quite a lot of time: watercolours, acrylics, oils, and some encaustic wax painting too.  Got paid for a couple of the oils, portraits.  Did quite a good one of my father and my eldest daughter playing chess on a wooden table in the garden through an archway in the holly hedge.  Quite proud of that one.  Managed to finish it just in time to give it to my mother as a Christmas present the year after my father died.
I hope to do one of my brother, might do a few.  If my fingers can remember how.

Did some watercolours of flowers, hollyhocks, fuchsias, things like that.

I took up making cards once, as soon as my relatives discovered what I was doing, they all demanded home-made cards for Christmas; I gave up making cards after that year.  I actually found it a bit limiting. 

And recently I've been doing mixed media things which I find much more exciting, especially if you don't limit it to cards but do it as art pieces, whether that's on a canvas by itself, or as a book front, or a covering for a box, being able to use anything at all is much more freeing.  And I do like SteamPunk.

I have done 3-D art for quite some years, so much so that I even went to University and took a degree in animation.  I enjoyed that tremendously.
Unfortunately it did not lead to a job, but I still dabble in it now and then, and hope to eventually complete an animation about a green pea and various other pea characters.

I've done decoupage,  silver metal clay, done a little work with metals, mainly copper and brass, mostly ageing them; it's amazing patterns and colours you can get on copper with a packet of salt and vinegar crisps.

I also love textures, and photography, took a course in photography, a couple of them actually, wouldn't mind doing that again, a course I mean.  I still take a lot of photographs of both scenery and I still do textures too.

When I did animation at uni, we did cell frame animation, drawn animation, glass painting animation, 3-D animation, stop frame animation and some of it involved quite a bit of modelmaking, I made a river bank scene, an artist's house, a little boy's house, and a wood, a dragon's cave with a waterfall outside it, and the cave opened out in two halves so that you could film inside as well as outside it.  I made a dragon with an armature, using sculpey clay, he had a jaw that opened and closed and inside his body I put the rods from a helping hand's magnifier.  However I used milliput for the body, and it was too heavy: we had a wonderful time smashing the body open to get the bits of my helping hands out again!
The second dragon was made from my design, using copper mesh in segments, so that the body and tail moved independently and my husband soldered it together, that was when we used a lot of copper wire, I think that's what we bought it for.  But that copper mesh was awful to use, he had little scars all over his hands afterwards.  But it was such a beautiful piece I didn't hardly have the heart to cover it with clay or papier maché or anything else, but we took lots of pictures of it.

I've still got the dragon's cave, but the riverbank used a lot of scenic water and it never entirely cured and when it got stored sideways the 'water' shifted so I'm afraid that was the end of that.
The boat I used for the riverbank, was a boat my father made when he did an animation of Ramses.  All his figures were made from plasticine, I think we must have that film somewhere but it would've been done on super eight cine, and would cost a lot to transfer to DVD.  Still, one day maybe.

Yes, it would have been quicker to say what I haven't done.  Lol!

There's probably more but I'm beginning to lose the will to live, God help those who read this.
FranOnTheEdge