EJR Beads

Author Topic: What other Art/Crafts do you do?  (Read 16644 times)

Jess R

What other Art/Crafts do you do?
« on: July 24, 2013, 06:43:50 PM »
Seeing how many talented people there are on here, i just wondered what other artistic/crafty outlets we had?

I like to draw (badly!) and paint in acrylics, and occasionally do a bit of knitting  ;) I haven't got much to show for it mind!

I thought it would be interesting to see what else people make in their spare time!

Elizabeth Campbell

• Elizabeth Campbell Jewellery
Re: What other Art/Crafts do you do?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 07:45:41 PM »
Hi Jess,

Many years ago I used to draw and paint.  But I haven't done that for a very long time now and when I had a go at that recently my hands seemed to have completely forgotten how to do that!  I was absolutely gutted!!!!

I'm also a huge fan of papier mache stuff and also decoupage.  I used to make a lot of papier mache forms and then decoupage them.  And quite a few things in our house are covered either with decoupage (cat images feature rather heavily... ::)) or with papier mache (textured mulberry paper being a favourite, cos I love the way the light shines through it).

I am envious that you knit.  Even though I tried to learn that as a child I could never do it, I had to think about every stitch, and so took an absolute age to knit anything!

I used to sew a lot though.  And at one time made all my own clothes.  But in those days (shortly after dinosaurs became extinct) fabrics were really cheap and it was cheaper to make clothes than to buy them.  These days fabrics are expensive and our clothes are mostly made by poor hard working b*ggers in the developing world, I think....  So, whilst being able to make clothes used to be almost a necessity, now it's something of a luxury hobby!

About 10 years ago I also learned to work with silver and was thrilled at being able to wield a blowtorch.  And since then I've always longed to become more proficient at working in metals generally and to one day have a go at welding; but very recently I had the chance to share a studio with a lady who does that for a living, and she reminded me that although welding lessons can be fun, you can't replicate that at home because buying the basic equipment is so expensive (and takes space too...)  Ah well....back to polyclay.....

BTW, great idea for a thead!  :)

Eliz

Jess R

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 08:09:58 PM »
See, im so envious of people who can sew! Thats something ive always wanted to be able to do, but as you say, its more and more expensive to make your own than to buy now! I always loved the idea of making my own cusions, and curtains and things, but then i walk into 'the range' etc and see them for £4 each and think sod it!  :D haha

My grandpa used to do ironmongery (sp?) and showed me a few bits of metal work, and it is so enjoyable! Feels great to craft things like that :)

I LOVE knitting, i never actually make anything from it though except from the odd bobble hat  ::) I just find repetative things like that really relaxing

Peter

• Because together we got power
    • Mango Fizz Creations
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 08:49:44 PM »
When I could still see what I was doing I used to paint teeny tiny little soldiers and play with them......

colonial 016 by britishlinescarlet, on Flickr

DSCF0055 by britishlinescarlet, on Flickr

2010-06-03 063 by britishlinescarlet, on Flickr

DSCF0026 by britishlinescarlet, on Flickr

DSCF0113 by britishlinescarlet, on Flickr

DSCF0030 by britishlinescarlet, on Flickr

And I also used to paint in oil.... I will pop up some photos at some point if I can find them.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 08:57:07 PM by Peter »

Bev

• Bev
    • Tamar Jewellery and Beads
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 09:08:19 PM »
Those are brilliant Peter  :)

I spend most of my spare time (not much at the moment!) doing hand tooled leather. Unfortunately this has meant my claying has taken a back seat  :( Haven't done any for quite some time.

http://www.tamarleather.co.uk/ or on FB https://www.facebook.com/TamarLeather

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 12:11:21 AM »
I've done machine knitting, pottery, watercolour painting, and sewing over the years. I can knit but only ever made baby clothes and they were too small by the time l finished them!
Like Elizabeth, l used to make all my clothes, including tailored coats, and for the children when they were tiny - l worked in a fabric shop for a few years.  I don't suppose many people bother now!
 Now all l do is alter things! 
But l have always enjoyed making stuff of one sort or another  :)

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 09:36:29 AM »
Its all just about the beads for me - but I work in a variety of materials, including glass, ceramic clays and metal as well as polymer.

It's great to hear how creative everyone is - and the wide range of stuff we all do.

Pete those soldiers are great. What fantastic painting you do.

Too bad the eyesight prevents you doing it now - but it is our gain ultimately, as your claywork is equally fab.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

cornishclayer

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 11:16:56 AM »
I love to knit, particularly whilst watching tv, so totally agree that simple things are the best.  I'm hooked on making shawls out of random leftover wool all mixed together to get roughly the same thickness, so exciting to see how the new stripes work out.  I knit them lengthways, so the ends can be integrated into the tassels.   Dealing with all those ends is the very worst bit of knitting, so great to avoid it.

Plus you can make lovely co-ordinated buttons and shawl pins to go with them out of polymer clay.  Bliss.

Marian

Karolina.S

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 01:29:12 PM »
Used to paint in oil with very little sucess but then discovered water colours and it was more my thing as i can draw but not paint so water colour is a good thing in between the 2.  No pictures though and i gave it all away (some regrets on that)

Made wooden "paintings" and some enamel work when i was a woodworking teacher. I´m a joiner so at one point i made furniture but the body says no to that now as i have Psoriatic arthritis. I do have some paper photos somewhere of some of my furniture. I still have 2 of my furniture here in my home. Planning to give one to each child when they move.

Made my own paper at some time, sewing i do just out of neccesity like the coat for my mom if you remember :)

And off course jewellry from bought beads and i have a lot of beads but now a days it is all PC.

I do have some plans for some paintings but time is not on my side.

Love the painting on those little soldiers. :) Well done!
Timrċ in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

xena

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 10:20:32 PM »
I do a lot of recycled glass mosaic on slates.
But have just finished a course on natural dyeing and felting, reckon this might become a favourite.
 :)

EmmaP

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 11:35:14 PM »
I've decided to mess about with decoupage this evening, very fun!! Although that may be because i got to cover my hands in glue and messy stuff.... I can never just use a brush, have to get my fingers involved!! :)

And the bottom of coke bottles make interesting looking little dishes once covered in paper and pretty things i found out!

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 03:57:11 PM »
So many interesting things everyone tries!

I guess we must all be the type of people who just like to have a go at different crafts - to be making things all the time.

Jess R

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 07:48:58 PM »
It does seem to be that if you can 'do' one artistic medium, you can have a good go at others! There are a lot of talented people here by the sounds of it! And im glad im not the only one whos clay room is also a painting/decoupage/sewing/knitting etc room  ;D

Welshtotty

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 06:07:49 PM »
well I've always done craft/arty type tings since I was small. I used to paint water colours on commission at one point in time, but haven't painted in a long time, I'd like to get back into it. I took up paper and card crafting after deciding to make all our wedding invitations over 10 years ago. That kind of blossomed into card making, stamping and embossing.

from there I turned to decorating picture frames and christmas decorations in paper mache. Then I joined a gang of friends online doing a photo a day project on flickr in 2008, i also joined an evening class to learn more about photography which I loved and really gt into it, did a summer school at the local Uni and then an Alevel in photography, thats a passion now and it has made me see things around me differently.

Last year I found jewellery making, so thought I'd have a go and really enjoyed it, out of that I got into polymer clay jewellery and that evolved too from beads and pendants to other stuff in polyclay. I then found decopage which I love and I want to do more with that if i can as I do have some ideas. then recently I've found needle felting, started with a piece of jewellery (which has since sold) and I have ideas for homeware using the skill.

So i do lots of crafty stuff and I still want to get back into painting and have ideas for some small acrylic paintings too. Theres not enough time to fit it all in  ;D
Abbie, in deepest darkest Newport, Wales.....
https://www.facebook.com/AderynJewellery

winklesun

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 06:06:48 AM »
Needle felting, paper mache, polymer clay, wood crafts. I am terrible at knitting. There is never any spare time because there is so much to do!
I can't understand why people get bored.