EJR Beads

Author Topic: Help needed with plastic push moulds  (Read 6409 times)

Shirley

Help needed with plastic push moulds
« on: March 29, 2011, 06:11:41 PM »
Hi all

I  saw this necklace in Hobbs shop in town and thought I might make a copy of it: http://www.hobbs.co.uk/index.cfm?page=1155&pageNumber=2
It is quite hard to see the pendant in the photo, its a metal flying bird, sort of a dove shape, white with a faint gold outline.
I'm planning to use glass pearl beads, and to make a flying bird pendant using a plastic push mould which I found on ebay.

I have tried using push moulds before & have had huge problems getting the clay out of the mould without distorting the shape. The mould is hard plastic, so you can't push the shape out from the other side.

I'd really appreciate any tips people have!

Thanks.

Shirley
Shirley

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: Help needed with plastic push moulds
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 06:18:51 PM »
Hi Shirley

I often use pushmoulds that I make myself from scrap polymer clay - so they of course are hard plastic too.

I have found that using talcum powder or cornstarch as a release helps a lot. I dust the mould with a generous amount of talc, then brush out the excess so there is no clumping of release in the mould. Then, when I am ready to remove the moulded clay, I hold the mould upside down an inch or so above the table. I then tap the back and edges of the mould really sharply with something hard, like a thick marker pen.

Usually with two or three sharp raps, the piece just falls out.

Some people like to use water as a release too - little spray bottles (like the ones in the cosmic shimmer powder kits) are handy for this. Talking of cosmic shimmer powders, you can use these as a release too - or other metallic powders.

Hope that helps

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Shirley

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 07:27:22 PM »
Thanks very much Emma - I'll try the talc to start with, since I have some already. But the shimmer powder sounds like a really good idea.

Thanks!!! :D
Shirley

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 09:41:54 AM »
Do let me know how you get on Shirley. I am a big fan of pushmoulds and have hundreds in my clayroom. Both commercial ones and those I have made myself from anything and everything.

Although wearing my mod hat for a moment, it's probably worth pointing out,  we cannot actually copy things we see in the shops,  or we would be infringing the copyright of the original designer.

But I rather suspect, what you meant was to create a necklace *inspired* by one you saw in the shop, because by the time you start using your own moulds, different beads etc I am sure your own necklace will end up very different from the original anyway.

Please do post a picture here when it is done - I would love to see it!

Emma

Shirley

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 01:11:20 PM »
Thanks Emma - good point about the copyright, it never occurred to me! I am sure you are right, by the time I am finished mine will look only vaguely like theirs  :) More sparkly bit probably|!

S
Shirley

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 01:26:36 PM »
I expect yours will look a LOT nicer Shirley!

One nice thing about making your own jewellery is you can tweak and perfect things to your exact tastes - and no factory can do that, can they!

Even when using commercial moulds, there is always ways to tweak whatever comes out to give it your own twist. Birds can be given jewel eyes, textured with different tools or their wings moved into different positions. They can be made in any colour of the rainbow or to any finish we choose. That is one of the reasons I love pushmoulds actually - they are very versatile tools indeed.

Emma

shelleym

• ShelleyM
    • ShelleyM
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 12:00:05 PM »
Shirley - if your clay is a bit reluctant to be removed from a mould,  ball up a bit of soft clay (bit sticky/soft) and push it gently onto the back of the clay that you want removing, and use it like a tab, the clay should stick to it just slightly and you can pull it out, then gently either pull or cut away the tap from the back. You don't want to push too hard or it will stick firmly to the clay or mishape the piece. I usually do it so it's only just sticking enough to give a bit of a tug to the clay in the mould, and usually it pulls up the reluctant clay and also falls off the clay in one motion. You don't want it too stuck that it creates more work for you.

I hope that makes sense.

Ultraviolet

• Debbie
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 12:32:24 PM »
I read you can put them in the freezer for a short time but this is probably a different mould to the one I brought though I'm not sure if that's with the clay in it or not.
If you can't find me its possible I'm watching TV!

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 12:37:19 PM »
That's an interesting tip - thanks for sharing it. I hope if anyone tries this out, they will report back and tell us if it works or not.

Emma

Ultraviolet

• Debbie
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 12:44:39 PM »
heres the info from the website "We would advise baking your polymer clay bead in the mould, or at least freezing for 15 minutes before attempting to pop out the bead." So I assume this would be after its baked?

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 12:50:10 PM »
I think it means that if you want to remove the bead before baking, you should freeze it for at least 15 mins.

I have usually found that using a release does the job though. But I think a lot would depend on the mould, so the more ideas to try out the better really!

Emma

Ultraviolet

• Debbie
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 01:01:02 PM »
Only thing is if you bake it in the mould you can't put a hole in it to make it a bead & I guess it would be the same if it had been in the freezer. Is there a tool to do this on baked/hard polymer?

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 01:07:03 PM »
You can drill baked polymer clay. Either by hand or with a dremel etc. It's very easy to drill it by hand though, just pop a drill bit into a pin vise.

If you are going to do that, mark a little divot in the clay before baking where you want the whole. That will give your drill bit a starting point.

Frozen, unbaked clay, won't be hard to pierce in the normal way I don't think. It will warm up very quickly and won't be truly frozen solid. Just very firm.

I often put my unbaked beads in the fridge for 10 mins or so, just to firm them up for piercing.

Emma

Ultraviolet

• Debbie
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 01:12:10 PM »
Thanks

Shirley

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 07:37:31 PM »
Great tips everyone, thank you

:)

Shirley
Shirley