EJR Beads

Author Topic: Encaustic Wax Art/polymer clay experiment.  (Read 3345 times)

BlueBells69

• To be Creative is food for the Soul!
Encaustic Wax Art/polymer clay experiment.
« on: June 15, 2013, 09:01:38 PM »
Just realised this may be the wrong thread to put this as it's not beads or jewellery or sculpting?
I have been playing again with hearts, this one was done yesterday but didn't come out quite like i wanted it too, the writing stamps came out wonky!
But, i love playing with Encaustic wax Art and wondered how polymer clay takes this wonderful medium?( for those who haven't tried it , it is beeswax with pure pigments in it, that you paint with a heated iron onto non porous material/card etc. I used the thumbnail sized iron for this. )
So i painted the wrong side to see how it comes out and this is it.
The wax has reacted i think to the polymer clay, it normally is very fluid to work with and this seemed to be hard to move around and has left tracks of wax where the rose petals are. It also should buff up to a wonderful beeswax shine and this seemed to not shine up? I sealed it with hairspray.
It's an experiment i am willing to try over again until i get the right look to it.
I originally thought of covering beads with it to see how they looked.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 09:04:00 PM by BlueBells69 »
Pammi. 
From the fringe of Forrest of Bowland.

Jess R

Re: Encaustic Wax Art/polymer clay experiment.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 09:45:49 PM »
I dont know what you did, or how you managed it, but that heart is GORGEOUS!  :D

Welshtotty

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 11:14:55 PM »
Sounds complicated but so worth it, the depth of the roses is amazing!
Abbie, in deepest darkest Newport, Wales.....
https://www.facebook.com/AderynJewellery

shelleym

• ShelleyM
    • ShelleyM
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 08:29:44 AM »
It's beautiful. But you may find that the hairspray will also react with the polymer clay, although you haven't I presume, sprayed it directly on the clay, only on the wax. I seem to remember several years ago Alan Vernall experimenting with wax and poly clay and finding the two didn't work fantastically well together. Still it's a fantastic heart!

Shelley

BlueBells69

• To be Creative is food for the Soul!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 11:01:38 AM »
Wow, thankyou all very much for the lovely comments. :)
I have never used an acrylic sealer, but i think next time i will try one instead of hairspray. I am sure this technique would be great for small rectangular/heart pendants also.
Pammi. 
From the fringe of Forrest of Bowland.