EJR Beads

Author Topic: Cutting Canes  (Read 3386 times)

Graceful-Orchid

• Lynne
    • Lynnes Jewellery
Cutting Canes
« on: April 07, 2011, 01:48:02 PM »
Whenever I make a cane, a roundish cane not ones with a flat side, I always end up squashing the cane as i cut. I have cooled the cane in a fridge or freezer or quite a while but find the cane warms quickly and i end up squashing it again. Im wondering what others do?

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: Cutting Canes
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 02:11:15 PM »
I think a degree of squishing is inevitable sometimes. Cooling the cane and using a very sharp blade will help.

I tend to re-shape the cane slices after cutting if need be. Also, I will sometimes roll the cane along the table with the blade as I am cutting down.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Graceful-Orchid

• Lynne
    • Lynnes Jewellery
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 02:51:18 PM »
I sometimes roll the cane too but then find each end is cut in different places lol, Ill just have to practice more! not that i need any excuses to play!

Fiona

• Illuminati
    • WINIBI
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 03:31:16 PM »
Turning the cane a quarter turn between each cut helps keep the cane relatively round.  I rarely have perfectly round slices though so just reshape as best as I can.  Some people put scrap clay or blue tac underneath the cane to cut slices so the scrap clay gets flat rather than the cane.

shelleym

• ShelleyM
    • ShelleyM
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 04:05:24 PM »
Someone told me (can't remember who) that they cut their canes on a cutting mat that has a bit of 'give' and it prevents them squishing/distorting so much and keeps blades sharper for longer. I haven't tried that though I must admit. The cooler they are to start the better, but sometimes, like others have said, a bit of squishing can't be helped, just need to reshape afterwards.

KMD

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 10:15:38 PM »
I get flat bits too,, but have tried the rolling technique just slice a bit turn then slice and so on the cane seems less flat so i have stuck to this technique.

Hope you find yours ;)