EJR Beads

Author Topic: what colours  (Read 3586 times)

Karen

• Karen
what colours
« on: April 07, 2011, 09:36:39 AM »
If I wanted to try and model a fairy (yea I know need to walk before I run) what skin tone colours should I think about to start with?
Karen

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: what colours
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 10:33:51 AM »
Many clay brands will do a flesh tone clay you could try. Cernit, being so beloved of doll makers, has several different flesh tones for example.

You could also mix your own custom shade too, using a little white, brown, red etc - in whatever proportions you need to get the colour you are looking for.

It is a good idea though to make some test tiles of the clay colours and bake them. So you know what the clay colour looks like after baking. Some clays are quite different colours after baking. This is especially true of Cernit - since it has a porcelain-like finish and a slight translucency when baked, you will find the colours tend to darken / intensify. Mind you - it's swings and roundabouts, because it is that slight translucency that makes the doll makers love Cernit for skin tones in the first place.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Karen

• Karen
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 11:14:20 AM »
Thanks Emma, I had better start making a list lol just downloaded a polymer clay book to read while I am away over Easter  :)
Karen

KMD

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 10:55:02 PM »
Ooh which book?
Karen

rubyrube

• Carol
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 02:18:04 PM »
Karen, might as well aim high, you may be surprised.
Carol
Carol