EJR Beads

Author Topic: T&C and Privacy  (Read 2386 times)

AnnieG

• Handcrafted by Annie
T&C and Privacy
« on: May 27, 2013, 07:55:23 PM »
This might have been covered in another thread, sorry if it has. How do I cover the Terms and Conditions and Privacy policy on my website? Do I have to go to a solicitor for this or can someone point me in a cheaper direction?

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: T&C and Privacy
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 11:58:03 PM »
First check out what you need to include by law - read up the Distance Selling regulations and other stuff relating to e-commerce.

The business link website by the govt has lots of info. Try this link
https://www.gov.uk/browse/business/sale-goods-services-data

You can then take a look at a few different websites and check out what they have done. Maybe get an overview from several different sites and put together your own version once you know what you need to include. I am sure also if you google for it, you can probably find a few people online who are sharing some basic templates. But its important to actually write terms that mean something and are legal for this country and relevant for your own business. So I think its better to crib ideas from all these different sources but ultimately write your own.

In a nutshell, you'll need to include info about your shipping charges, about how a customer can make a return and also include your business postal address. You don't need to include a phone number, but its good to include an email address so people have a quicker way to get in touch with you than snail-mail.

As for privacy - if you are not storing their info or using cookies to collect marketing data, you don't really have any obligations on that score, but it could be good to reassure your customers of that and let them know you won't be sharing their details with anyone.

Emma

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

AnnieG

• Handcrafted by Annie
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 08:53:36 AM »
Thanks Emma. I see a lot of websites without the T&C and privacy stuff on them, I know it has to be there. All this business stuff it quite scary the more I think about it. I got up this morning thinking 'Is it worth all the hassle?' but I think it is, I feel good about what I'm doing so I want to get it all right from the start.

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 10:32:30 AM »
Have you checked out the articles on my website? There's a lot of useful links and ideas in them for anyone starting down the selling route.

Scroll to the bottom of this page for the articles

http://www.ejrbeads.co.uk/tutorials.htm

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

AnnieG

• Handcrafted by Annie
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 01:02:18 PM »
Ooo! Thanks Emma. xx