EJR Beads

Author Topic: Kumihimo Photos and Techniques  (Read 5990 times)

Bonipie

• Boni
Kumihimo Photos and Techniques
« on: May 14, 2013, 04:40:41 PM »
Hi, All,
Well, I have my need-lots of pendants waiting for something to 'hang on'.  I've posted on my desire to use my mountains of rayon thread to make necklace cords.  Well, I have my disks, my bobbins, some cord ends, a couple of books, and my imagination running amok.  Although I have tons of thread, I did buy rattail, mousetail, bugtail, and some hemp.  And, I have beads, too, from my bead life.  So, I'm ready.  And, I've made 2 cords.  And, I even made a spreadsheet to keep track of what I made.  This is new to me.  I usually think of the spreadsheet after I have made an 'impossible to document' amount of whatever I'm making.

I have made 2 cords.  One, my small one made from rayon thread is more like the size I would want for necklace cord. 

I made one using rattail (that's what the recipe called for) and eyelash.  The rattail was larger than would ever be used for a necklace, and the eyelash (using just a single strand) is quite a handful to work with.  I was making this cord in the 'almost' dark while watching tv.  I noticed that something had gone wrong, and my weave was going wrong.  I tried to work it out, but realized that although I knew how to make the cord, I really didn't know how the weave worked.  So, I stopped the cord before I planned since I really can't see a use for cord this big.

So, those are my experiences.  Just a start, but I enjoy tedious creations like this and I certainly have a use for the results.  I've attached photos of my first 2 attempts.

Anyone experienced or interested, please join the conversation.

Hugs, Boni  8) in Sunny, Yuma, Arizona where it's warming up!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 04:43:33 PM by Bonipie »

coppur

Re: Kumihimo Photos and Techniques
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 08:52:49 PM »
Boni, you sound well organised [am jealous] and prepared and just from the two pix you've posted, exploring possibilities already, experimenting with different threads. That eyelash thread looks fun and the colour is lovely. I don't know what braiding patterns you used and I don't know the Japanese names for them either, only the names Jacqui Carey uses in her book that I have. What books do you have? I only have this one - Creative Kumihimo-Jacqui-Carey and am self taught from this book.

I've been mostly braiding in miniature and only started larger scale pieces now my eyes are failing [ that's another reason I've dived into polymer clay, I need to make lots of lovely inro boxes so my braids will be useful. LOL! ]

I only found this yesterday and they seem to be a lovely, friendly group.
https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/139000299459251/

What kind of braid/s are you thinking of having a go at next?

I've posted a couple of pix of me stuff. The first three are jewellery, thwo necklaces and a pair of bracelets and the last one is of a miniature braided bridle
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 11:10:36 AM by ejralph »

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 09:13:28 PM »
The eyelash yarn does look gorgeous but l too have found rat-tail is too thick for necklace cords.  It looks good as bracelets though :)
I did make cords using just four ends of it though, on the disc, but ending up with a twisted cord, exactly like those you make by twisting two strands and doubling, but a better, tighter twist than l could achieve with rat-tail twisting manually.
I prefer the result with the 1mm - is it called mouse-tail? -anyway, the same silky stuff.  That gives a perfect size, l think.
I also used some rayon thread and loved that too.

Had a phase of doing it but haven't tried for a bit, though l've just tried and failed to do some beaded kumihimo!
 I am away from home so will have to wait until l can watch a video of how to do it - in other words when l'm not restricted to internet access in the evening in the pub near where we are staying!

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 10:25:15 PM »
WOW! Ladies, they are all so goegeous!!  I love the look of the eyelash thread.  I've had a go at Kumihino with the 2mm rat-tail and no bobbins (it was a bit of a disaster really).  I must try again.  Must get bobbins first!  Just out of curiousity, what is mouse-tail and bug-tail?

Mel  :)

Bonipie

• Boni
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 11:03:04 PM »
Boni, you sound well organised [am jealous] and prepared and just from the two pix you've posted, exploring possibilities already, experimenting with different threads. That eyelash thread looks fun and the colour is lovely. I don't know what braiding patterns you used and I don't know the Japanese names for them either, only the names Jacqui Carey uses in her book that I have. What books do you have? I only have this one -  and am self taught from this book.
Interesting, your book is not available in the US.  But, I just ordered Japanese Braiding: The Art of Kumihimo [Spiral-bound] It is by the same author, and spiral bound.  I'll just have to get by.  The books I have now aren't really 'books', they are quite small-like pamphlets.  But, enough to get me in trouble.  I do not know yet what I'm doing, but I'm doing it.

Facebook group looked nice.  I like to browse or lurk on facebook, but my account was hacked, so I am not a participant.

I did make cords using just four ends of it though, on the disc, but ending up with a twisted cord, exactly like those you make by twisting two strands and doubling, but a better, tighter twist than l could achieve with rat-tail twisting manually.
I prefer the result with the 1mm - is it called mouse-tail? -anyway, the same silky stuff.  That gives a perfect size, l think.
I also used some rayon thread and loved that too.

I'll have to give your '4 ends' a try.  I'm just experimenting with different threads/cords, and patterns.  This will be a very gradual exploration.  I can hardly wait to travel in a few weeks-I can play without all the distractions of home.  I'm thinking doubling the strands of my rayon thread.  And, I have a lot of 'lentil' style beads, with the hole offset from the center of the bead.  They work well woven into circular patterns-like Kumihimo.  They will be tried, and reported on here.

Hugs, Boni  8) in sunny Yuma, Arizona where it's starting to get hot! :P
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 11:11:46 AM by ejralph »

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 11:05:15 PM »
Not sure which is bug and which is mouse...but l used 1mm!

I managed just fine without using bobbins, also l didn't use weights - l found l got good results stretching it afterwards.

Also, l realised it isn't necessary, with eight ends anyway, to keep rotating the disc!   It's the same effect if you think about it, to just do top and bottom then side to side without rotating ;)  That means l can keep hold of it underneath more easily.

Bonipie

• Boni
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 11:12:34 PM »
WOW! Ladies, they are all so goegeous!!  I love the look of the eyelash thread.  I've had a go at Kumihino with the 2mm rat-tail and no bobbins (it was a bit of a disaster really).  I must try again.  Must get bobbins first!  Just out of curiousity, what is mouse-tail and bug-tail?

Mel,
Rattail-Big, 2mm
Mousetail-Medium, 1.5mm
Bugtail-Small, 1mm
(Dimensions are from a retailer.)
I am working with slippery cord and thread, so have not had a need for bobbins yet.  I used 8' pieces on the cord with eyelash, and it wasn't too difficult to handle without bobbins.  Just pulled each cord free as I worked around.  Carrie, I like your suggestion to not rotate-I'll have to give it a try.

Hugs, Boni 8)  in sunny Yuma, Arizona where it's starting to get hot!  :P

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 06:34:30 PM »
Thanks Boni  :)

Karolina.S

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 06:55:21 PM »
They are very nice all of them.
Almost so that i would like to try it myself.
Timrċ in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian

Bonipie

• Boni
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 04:55:13 AM »
It is relaxing.
You can have a cord in process, and pick up where you left off, working moments at a time.
Just pick it up and work in your lap.

Hugs, Boni  8) in Very Sunny Yuma, Arizona where it's heating up  :P

xena

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 10:26:03 PM »
Like the look of the eyelash! I often use tigerstail to kumihimo cords for pendants.