EJR Beads

Author Topic: Product Insurance  (Read 2054 times)

chrissie211

• ChrissieB Designs
Product Insurance
« on: May 12, 2013, 12:15:23 PM »
Just a query about doing Craft Fairs - does anybody or everybody have to take out product insurance.
Is it something you are legally obliged to do and how much should it cot if you do?
Thanks  :)

Peter

• Because together we got power
    • Mango Fizz Creations
Re: Product Insurance
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 02:18:36 PM »
Hi

I have product and public liability insurance.....costs me around 55 per year. Don't know if you are legally obliged to do it but a number of the craft fairs that I do insist that you have it.

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

kscottcrafts

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 12:03:05 AM »
I only have public liability insurance, I don't think it's a legal requirement, but as Peter says, most fair organisers insist upon it.

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 12:21:04 PM »
I personally wouldn't advise anyone to sell their items without both public and product liability insurance

Actually I think the product liability is the more important of the two if you are selling online mainly. If you are selling at venues, then obviously public liability is vital also.

Product liability is there for if your product causes injury  to someone and they sue you. Your public liability won't cover you for this so you need both.

So, imagine you make soap and someone comes out in a rash and sues. Or you make jewellery and someone gets in a car accident and your jewellery causes them injury and they sue... it can happen. The product liability is there to protect you.

In the glass world there was a case a while back where a lady made glass rings and a customer lost a finger in a car accident which she blamed on the ring. Even if a case is eventually dropped, it is hugely expensive in legal fees. Even if you win a case and the other person is ordered to pay your legal fees - doesn't mean they will cough up and pay.

Do think LONG AND HARD about selling anything to the public if you don't have both product AND public liability insurance.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies