EJR Beads

Author Topic: asked for advice on making & selling - on my etsy site  (Read 2493 times)

TheFlo

• I love the smell of polymer clay in the morning.
    • FloRaeMe
asked for advice on making & selling - on my etsy site
« on: April 28, 2013, 08:56:09 AM »
I was recently asked via my Etsy site for help and advice on making and selling polymer clay beads. I sell a limited stock of polymer clay beads on there and if you take a look at my sales you can see that I need all the help I can get in selling. So call me selfish but I certainly don't want to be giving away things that I've spent several years learning.

So I said that it was a case of lots of practice and pointed them in the direction of polymer clay central. I didn't even get a thanks !

What do you all think? How would you respond to something like that?

I once was asked for the pattern for a beadweaved necklace. It was someone else's design so I was able to tell them where to buy it but I wondered if they thought I would just hand it to them. Have you had things like this?

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: asked for advice on making & selling - on my etsy site
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 10:25:16 AM »
ROFL - Don't get me started!

I used to spend literally hours each week answering people's emails about claying, beadmaking etc. And very rarely do you get a thank you.

The one that swung it for me was when a lady I know from the newsgroups at the time tracked me down on skype and had me talk to her for the best part of an hour on my Sunday evening about how to get her clay conditioned and ready for a class she was taking the next day - not my class, someone else's I hasten to add.

Then when she had what she needed, she suddenly said "oh I have to go - someone at the door" and just buggered off without so much as a thank you.

After that I decided that enough is enough. I am not spending hours on personal emails to people anymore. If its the tips and techniques that I have spent a long time honing - well, they are all there in my tutorial. Much of anything else useful I might have to say is down in my free tutorials and articles. And for general enquiries - ask me here on the forum because that way, everyone benefits from my answer now and in the futre. And more importantly, the original questioner will get other people's advice too, not just mine. Which has to be better than just one opinion.  Its a win win situation.

Another corker, many years ago was another polymer clay bead seller on ebay messaged me saying "I have a customer who wants a set of beads like the ones in your listing (and she gave the number of my aution) but she needs them in silver instead, - tell me how to do this"

and when she got no answer, she messaged me to tell me she was reporting me to ebay for not answering her. Actually I had answered her along the lines of FOAD, but my replies hadn't reached her for some reason  ;D

Its a balancing act for me - because I do sell supplies as well ,and customers asking technical advice about the products they want to purchase is totally understandable and totally cool.

But its just those ones that go a little bit beyond the line that bug me.  Those people you take time out to help and they never even say thanks. Or those that ask you something they could so easily google for themselves with less words than it takes to email me!

There's a beadmaker out there who is notorious for this  (not polymer clay I must add) - she emails anyone and everyone for literally every single step of learning the medium. Posts on facebook groups etc with every little question about every little nuance of how to do it. It does make you wonder what she actually gets out of the process since she seems to take no pleasure in doing any research or experimentation herself. It's almost like she just wanted an urgent, prescriptive list of every step to getting beads made from this material into her Etsy store ASAP.

I understand asking your peers if you get stuck or need a fresh perspective or you have googled and read books and really just cannot find the answer. But to ask consistently for every single, solitary step when it would be physically quicker to type the key words into google and read up? At that point, it just seems like laziness and a desperate rush to be getting a product to market rather than enjoying the creative process or genuinely loving the medium.

So the way I see it - If you are selling your art - you are under no obligation to share anything. Some people choose to. Others don't.

No-one wants an enviroment where people are afraid to ask questions - and thankfully the beadmaking world is not like that at all.

But neither should there be an enviroment of expectation and self-entitlement to other people's hard-won experience. And if a person is worth you taking time to email and ask something - if they reply, they are worthy of a quick thank you too! lol

Emma

Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

TheFlo

• I love the smell of polymer clay in the morning.
    • FloRaeMe
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 11:26:56 AM »
That's insane that she was going to report you for not telling her how to make your beads.

The person that asked me for help on making beads worked in another craft. I should have asked them to tell me all about how they make their stuff!

ickledookie

• Angie Wirral UK
    • Bead Me Up Buttercup
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 09:57:49 PM »
I still spend hours researching & researching some more, most of the time I find what I'm looking for but sometimes there's just nothing!! So I'm glad I can come here & ask for help!  ;D

I don't mind people asking me questions about claying etc, but if it evolves how I make something I sell then I would have to refrain.