EJR Beads

Author Topic: Suggestions etc  (Read 34595 times)

Fiona

• Illuminati
    • WINIBI
Re: Suggestions etc
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 02:39:26 PM »
Ok having posted images both ways now I much prefer doing it from images that are hosted elsewhere as I can see what they look like in the preview before posting and you can put text in between photos rather than the images all being at the bottom of the message as thumbnails.  I personally would consider scrapping the option to add them as an attachment.  Doesn't it affect your server/bandwidth or whatever on space and/or speed as well doing it that way?

Fiona

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 03:30:26 PM »
Oh definitely  - please do test out everything. That is exactly what I am hoping you guys will help me out with  :) . I'm just sort of saying things as they pop into my mind really - no real planning and order to my posts as you might have noticed!

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

ladamemo

• bury treasure
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 09:22:25 PM »
i'm just downloading pics to flikr now, really easy to use and sign up to so would recommend to all you ladies just got to figure out how to link to them on here now!  :-\
carrie - nuts but not a nutter!!

Shirley

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 10:43:15 PM »
Hi

I'm finding I have lots of questions about techniques when I look at the pictures members have posted so far. Rather than block up their picture threads, where do you think is the right place to put these questions? eg the question about lace caning I asked on Fiona's thread?

:)

Shirley
Shirley

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 11:02:40 PM »
Hi

I'm finding I have lots of questions about techniques when I look at the pictures members have posted so far. Rather than block up their picture threads, where do you think is the right place to put these questions? eg the question about lace caning I asked on Fiona's thread?

:)

Shirley

I think we are all just gonna have to feel our way along with these things. We will soon all hit upon a way that seems to work If I see any posts that I think would make more sense in another location, I will just step in and move them.

If there are things where you know the name of the technique, it makes more sense to start a new topic - there are sections for questions in each of the areas. This means that if someone else comes along in the future and searches for that particular subject, they will get to see that you have already asked the question and can more easily access the answers.

Emma

KMD

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2011, 10:25:13 PM »
Emma, could we have a private section for business chat, somewhere where public cannot see all over google? 
Karen

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 07:36:27 AM »
What do you mean by business chat exactly?

I have to say I am disinclined - since I don't really like the idea of private areas within forums.

Emma

KMD

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 07:49:30 AM »
Hi Emma I just mean, if we wanted advice about selling ect, there are some forums which have a thread where the public can only see if they are a member.
I always feel a bit concious asking questions relating to selling or non selling! and worry that this may scare off customers but could really do with the help.
I dont add a link as I have done before, looked to see where I am on google and found a really old post on google :-[

sorry if it originally sounded dodgy hope I have made it a bit clearer, other than that I am more than happy to share x
Karen

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2011, 08:27:01 AM »
Ah - I see what you mean

To be honest - I am not sure how easy it would be to devide off a section that was blind to google. I will ask Mr Man about it -

I understand your concerns, but I think there are ways to discuss the business side of things without making one seem weak or unappealing to potential customers.

Firstly - you have to remember customers are very unlikely to go as far as to start reading old forum posts. But if embarassing old posts are coming up in google searches to haunt you, all the more reason to get out on the net, get your link out there and make lots of new posts that google will end up ranking higher. Otherwise those old ones will be all google knows about and all it shows.

Secondly - every business looks for ways to improve. You can find speeches online from the CEOs of massive companies sharing their plans to increase sales, sharing with shareholders their post-mortums of what went wrong or what sides of the company have been running at losses.

Business is business and I don't think any customer will be put off by a person looking to expand and improve their own sales. The etsy forums are full of such discussions afterall and that is on the very same venue these people are selling.

But if you word your posts in a positive upbeat way - this can only have a positive effect on anyone reading.

Picture reading this post "oh I am sick of it - nothing sells, my work must be rubbish, I,m giving upi!"

It has a negative tone and of couse - who would want to buy from that sad sack?

But reading something like "Hi guys - I am loving making this new range, but I am finding the sales are not as strong as I would like. Can you see ways I can improve my marketing on this range - or is this not really where I should be putting my efforts and I should concentrate on other styles?"

Both are saying the same thing "my work isn't selling". But the second example shows that the maker is not believing NONE of their work would sell, she still has faith in herself, her abilities. She is just posing the question that maybe this particular range has the problem. This way - she can walk away and blame all the non-sales on the particular range, and still hold her head high. Just like a multinational will shut down any non-profitable wing of its business and that gets seen as a positive, correct decision.

I personally feel that any customer reading posts like the second example, would only be more impressed - they would visit your site just to see what type of work you are talking about firstly, cos humans are nosey. They would also be impressed that you are being proactive with marketing.

So I think you can have discussions like this in an open enviroment - but it pays to always be mindful of how you frame things and how you keep a control on your own inner demons of negativity, worry etc.

Emma

Grubbi

• Ditsy Dabbler
    • Grubbi
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2011, 02:39:48 AM »
Hiya, just a wee suggestion from me.  I own a forum and we have a section called "Member Albums" where each member can open their own thread (for example mine here would be called "Grubbi's Album") and then they update it with their pics each time they make something new.  Other members comment on the pics, can ask questions etc...

Firstly it stops people making a new thread every time they want to show something off and secondly it's nice to have everything in one place so you can see the progression people make over time and all the "ooo how did you do that?" questions have a home without the boards getting too cluttered.

Just an idea that works very well on my non crafts related forum. xx

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2011, 06:27:45 AM »
Yes - I've been to forums with the albums thing to. I'm not sure we have that function with the software we are using anyway.

But, we do already have separate sections here for people's questions so they shouldn't get lost amongst the pictures. When they want to show off a picture, they can post it in the showcase sections, either as a new thread or in the monthly gallery thread.  Plus people can put a link to their flickr account etc in their sig if they have one.

So hopefully there are plenty of workarounds for those who are used to the album format.

Emma

Silverleaf Shiny Stuff

• Anna Roberts
    • Silverleaf Shiny Stuff
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2011, 02:00:20 PM »
Well something like that could be done by simply creating your own thread, and keep adding your own pictures to it. No software required. I do like the idea, it keeps thing tidier than every person making a new thread each time they want to show off something new - as long as they add pics to each moth's gallery as well!

Grubbi

• Ditsy Dabbler
    • Grubbi
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2011, 02:18:21 PM »
Yes, that's what I meant, just a regular thread that peeps would keep updating.

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2011, 10:21:58 AM »
I guess I am missing something - as I thought that was what the gallery was for?

Also, to be honest, I don't see the problem in starting new threads in the showcase section either. The threads will stay current by virtue of the fact that people are interested in them and reply. When they cease to be current, they will just fall to the wayside.

I don't mean to be odd - just really not seeing the problem to be honest! The showcase section is there to be used! That's why it was made. If people want to start a thread with all their work, and keep adding to that - by all means go ahead. But I don't really see any real need to do that from a running-the-forum perspective in preference to just starting new theads or using the monthy gallery. Only needs to be done if the person specifically feels the need to have all their work sectioned away from everyone else's in its own thread.

But if I am missing something or mis-understanding something (which in itself would not be usual  :) ) do point it out.

Emma

KMD

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2011, 10:46:09 AM »
I thought that was what the April gallerys were for, I am presuming there will be one for every month and wont matter how many pictures we post?
The showcase area seems fine its easy to see everyones work, I know its difficult to keep complimeting each individual picture maybe thats why the individual gallery has been suggested, but I think personally there are so many of us, ohh just thought did you guys mean in our profile, I know with another forum the album is created in your profile not as a thread.
Karen