EJR Beads

Author Topic: Interesting - about pricing.  (Read 2776 times)

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
Interesting - about pricing.
« on: March 28, 2013, 08:09:03 PM »
This is a thought-provoking post on the blog Sooz in the Shed (Sue Simmons) - about pricing your crafts for sale.

http://soozintheshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/pricing-your-crafts-for-sale.html

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
Re: Interesting - about pricing.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 09:33:32 PM »
Interesting!  Thanks Carrie.

Mel  :)

ickledookie

• Angie Wirral UK
    • Bead Me Up Buttercup
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 09:50:59 PM »
You can tell she certainly wasn't happy about the woman moaning about the price of her beaded bracelet! It is so true though, how many of use actually tally up the real hours, not me & I bet not you too!

The rock cuffs are a good example of being to scared to price my work correctly. Here's me charging between 15 - 20 when they actually should be around the 40 mark. Then your brain goes into over drive "who on earth will pay that for a bracelet" or "I couldn't possibly charge THAT much for it".

Yet when a friend asked me to make her a custom rock cuff & I cringed telling her how much, she didn't bat an eye lid & was more than happy to pay that!!!  :o

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 10:34:51 PM »
Interesting -

In general I think its very hard to sell fashion accessories type jewellery for artisan prices. And by that, I mean basic designs,  made with pretty, but inexpensive beads, plated components etc.

The reason being, too much ready-made stuff comes out of the far east from the same components already - and they can do it cheaper.

It is actually EASIER to aim higher and sell more expensive, exclusive designs sometimes. So long as you find the right customers.

You'll never have an easy time selling generic designs to the people that want high-street fashion accessories. Because, they will only care about paying high street prices and the high street is flooded with similar stuff already. Much cheaper than you or I can make them for.

What there IS a niche for though is jewellery with real personality and real quality. That is something the mass-produced stuff cannot beat us on.

So find the people who appreciate hand-crafted and sell them something a little more exclusive and it gets a lot easier.  They appreciate the handmade beads, the quality findings and accent beads a lot more.

I've come across an almost snarky attitude sometimes when people don't sell as well as they would like.

This whole "oh well, I'm not one of the "big names" - I'm just a mere mortal" - as though those "big names" that do sell well were somehow just lucky.

But they are big names and selling well because they created a product that was desireable and worked hard to get that product publicised. Or maybe they have invested in advertising, or gone without a lot of other stuff to persue their goal.

The truth is though - tons and tons of jewellery is sold each and every day. Bucket loads of the stuff. People are out there buying jewellery of every description, just as they have done for thousands of years. And if you truly want to sell your jewellery - the harder you work, the luckier you'll get.

In reality though - most designer-makers in my experience are not genuinely committed to their selling. It is a wishy-washy half-hearted attempt to sell.

That is fine - life, family, jobs etc all get in the way. But those are the choices we all make.

If you make jewellery and sell, but you do little more than stick a price tag on something and hope for the best, you cannot complain when other people have more "luck"

Because the "luck" is really just them setting a goal and making it happen. Researching the market, advertising themselves, trying out different sales methods, connecting to their customers, STAYING connected to their customers etc and often spending YEARS building momentum.

Pricing is this huge elephant in the room. Everyone who doesn't sell well thinks that its all down to prices. Everyone who does sell well realises that actually, as much as some people complain about pricing, that is irrelevant as they wouldn't be a genuine customer base anyway. The real paying customers for the work are not always that obsessed with price and often rate desireability and originality over if the peice costs 10 or 20

Emma

Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Peter

• Because together we got power
    • Mango Fizz Creations
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 07:20:08 AM »
The reality is for me is that if I can't set a price that gives me an adequate return then I don't eat next year. 

ickledookie

• Angie Wirral UK
    • Bead Me Up Buttercup
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 03:18:46 PM »
Emma I totally agree! You have to create something of quality, something that's different, that they can't get anywhere else. Also put the time in to building your own fan base of people who will pay *those prices* & you will make sales but it takes time.