EJR Beads

Author Topic: Anyone interested in a Bead Swap?  (Read 6906 times)

Sylvia

Anyone interested in a Bead Swap?
« on: March 14, 2013, 03:57:37 PM »
There's been a discussion over in the March Gallery thread about a Swap.  I am proposing -

A Button Swap.

3 - 4 people in a group - the excitement of multiple little parcels, without the cost of a LARGE group

Everyone gets to specify Two Things - two colours and a technique (for example, blue and silver mokume gane, green and pink canework, red and white textured) - I think this might push people's creative envelopes, and they could use this to try, on a small scale, something they hadn't done before

Get the lists done by end of March with all reveals for end of April.

Any or all of this is open for discussion - I originally suggested six buttons, but Monkey Ann reckons one would be more manageable.  Someone else (so sorry, forget who) thought we should be in pairs - any other thoughts?

Who's in?
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
Re: Anyone interested in a Bead Swap?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 04:08:18 PM »
I'm in  :)
A smaller group sounds like a good idea.
Don't understand the suggestion about each person specifying two things though....would each person make one of each ??? 

Sylvia

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 05:43:00 PM »
I'm interested in how people interpret differently - for example, if I specify red and blue Mokume Gane, and I get three sets of buttons, I bet they will all be wildly different.  I'd then post a picture of the three sets together.

I would have to make three completely different sets for my three partners depending on what they wanted.

Does that make sense?

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 06:33:33 PM »
So you mean the recipient specifies the colours and techniques for any peices they'll receive?

That's an interesting twist

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Sylvia

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 07:05:51 PM »
Ooh, ooh ohh - or how about, 'In The Style Of'?  And then when we post our haul, everyone has to guess?

This is FUN!

ickledookie

• Angie Wirral UK
    • Bead Me Up Buttercup
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 07:22:44 PM »
I'm in but still a bit confused as to specifying patterns/colours!

Sylvia

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 07:38:54 PM »
You specify two colours, and one technique.  You then get  three sets of buttons with those colours predominating, in that technique.

in making buttons for your three partners, you have to make three different sets, following their colour/technique requirements.

I'm interested in how wildly the buttons will differ according to the artist's interpretation.

But not if people think it's a bad idea!

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 08:23:40 PM »
I wouldn't want to make a set for each person, or receive a set - I use buttons singly.....I'd rather make/receive singles  ???

ickledookie

• Angie Wirral UK
    • Bead Me Up Buttercup
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 08:56:28 PM »
It does sound a bit to confusing.......what if we all had a list of colours to choose from but say only upto 3 technics to pick from. But we secretly choose what colour & technic we want to do our buttons in?

chrissie211

• ChrissieB Designs
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 09:13:14 PM »
What about just choosing a theme like "Picasso" and then everyone can choose their own colours and technique to make just one button.  I'm sure there are lots of themes we could choose from!

ickledookie

• Angie Wirral UK
    • Bead Me Up Buttercup
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 10:04:24 PM »
What about just choosing a theme like "Picasso" and then everyone can choose their own colours and technique to make just one button.  I'm sure there are lots of themes we could choose from!

Ooo I like the sound of Picasso!  :D

monkey ann

• Illuminati
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 10:17:26 PM »
I think a couple of you on this thread are doing the same workshop in April, with Sarah Shriver, I am going to be there helping out.  Could we be the start of a small group and do the swap there.  NO POSTAGE. 
Ann from Croydon, Surrey

MilleD

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 07:47:26 AM »
I think a couple of you on this thread are doing the same workshop in April, with Sarah Shriver, I am going to be there helping out.  Could we be the start of a small group and do the swap there.  NO POSTAGE.

I think that's a little unfair to people who may want to be involved but aren't going. 

I don't like the sound of a theme but I do think choosing colours and technique and seeing the different interpretations would be interesting.

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 09:17:14 AM »
In UK it would only be a large letter stamp and a re-used small padded envelope :)   Don't think small packets cost much to send abroad, do they?

(You do all have a drawer crammed full of used padded envelopes, don't you ?  I mean, that is normal, isn't it ???)

monkey ann

• Illuminati
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 09:27:02 AM »

I think that's a little unfair to people who may want to be involved but aren't going. 

I don't like the sound of a theme but I do think choosing colours and technique and seeing the different interpretations would be interesting.

Sorry Claire, it was just a thought after the comments of splitting up into small groups.  Personally I would go for a bigger group and have just one bead from each person back, making the task more doable.  The thought of making sets of six beads for a group of 10 or more does not sound like fun to me.
Ann from Croydon, Surrey