EJR Beads

Author Topic: Hi everyone  (Read 1863 times)

Woody Allan

Hi everyone
« on: February 26, 2013, 07:54:18 PM »
My name is Allan and like most people here I am fairly new to Poly Clay. My main interest is in Scrollsaw Woodwork and I am very interested in introducing clay into some of my work. I recently went to the Card & Craft show at the NEC and had the great pleasure in meeting someone from the Polymer Clay Guild who gave me a wonderful demonstartion of how to work with polyclay. This got me thinking of how I could work with this medium into my other  Scrollsaw work.

I am always open to suggestions and a couple of the girls at work have suggested that I should combine the clay and wood into making bespoke jewellery. This is one aspect of woodworking that I have not explored but I am seriously thinking of doing so. I also do a small amount of woodturning which again is another avenue to explore.

So look out the HELP forum because I may be bonbarding you with questions. I have purchased a few packets of clay to play around with and hopefully I will let everyone know how it goes. If anyone is interested in seeing my work then pop over to www.woodyallan.co.uk to have a look and perhaps leave some suggestions.

Here's looking forward to another interesting branch of my hobbies.

'Woody' Allan

8)

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Re: Hi everyone
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 08:00:45 PM »
Welcome Woody!

I'm sure you will soon be brimming with ideas on how to combine polymer clay with your wood pieces. You can make all kinds of cool veneers that you can bake flat on a ceramic tile, then remove and use for mosaic-ing, inlays etc.

You might also find some fun ways to use your wood skills on the clay itself. Baked clay can be drilled, sawed, lathed etc.

So I think probably the only problem will be knowing where to start - but once you have a look at some basic clay techniques and concepts I am sure you will get an idea on what to try out first. And, if you have any questions there's always lots of ideas to be had here and people to help out or give a few pointers.

Enjoy the forum and looking forward to seeing how your projects progress.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 08:08:18 PM »
Hello!
There are folk working with wood and polymer clay and I think they can look beautiful together.  There's a whole new world to explore!

One great property of polymer clay is that there's virtually no shrinkage unlike many other plastic materials so pieces can be moulded with your wood, removed, baked, stuck in  8)

I like your work - it's good that it is still being done by hand.....the Noah's ark jigsaw looks fun and I love the box with a scroll work lid.  Well - I like it all actually!  My DH is a wood freak- he makes jigdolls - so packs of tulipwood et al keep getting delivered  ::)  He also uses wood from trees from the garden or from friends and neighbours. You can frequently find him reading his (only) book - about different woods and their properties.... ::)

Looking forward to seeing where your experiments take you!

Bev

• Bev
    • Tamar Jewellery and Beads
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 08:27:14 PM »
Hi Allan & a warm welcome to the forum  :)

Ginagal

• I am a craft person interested in all I see.
    • Artgalcrafts
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 01:16:05 AM »
Hi Alan
welcome here,
you are a very interesting person, and you have a great site.
 Love all  the Xmas scroll sawed pieces, never knew how all
that was done, very clever.
Can't even think how Poly clay would go with the wood pieces, but as a very creative person,
 you will soon be showing us.
 There is so much versatility with poly clay, I'm sure it will go well
. Good luck and see you here often I hope.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69531115@N00/
Elizabeth in the Tropics of Australia.

Fiona

• Illuminati
    • WINIBI
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 08:06:59 AM »
Hi Allan. Welcome to the forum.  :)

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 09:46:45 AM »
Hi 'Woody' Allen.  Welcome to the forum.  I just had a quick look at your website.  Very  8)!!  I totally love the toys!

Mel  :)

RachelMac

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 09:56:17 AM »
WELCOME!  ;)

Karolina.S

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 01:33:16 PM »
Hi there and Welcome.
I really like your wooden creations, they are well made. I used to work in wood my self as i am a joiner and worked as a teacher in wood craft fo a few years.

Timrċ in the north of Sweden. Always with my polymer clay eyes open.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77424684@N04/ http://www.facebook.com/Hobbyrian