EJR Beads

Author Topic: Cyanoacrylate Glue  (Read 3012 times)

Oblibby

• Lisa
    • Oodles of Obliciousness
Cyanoacrylate Glue
« on: April 03, 2011, 11:04:21 AM »
I'm working from an American book and was going to do a project that requires cyanoacrylate glue, which I believe is just a techy name fo Superglue.

I just want to double check that there are no major differences in the formula for US and UK superglues (I am rubbish at chemistry!) that will prevent the UK stuff from sticking together cured pieces of clay.

Thanks
Lisa xoxo
My Blog

shelleym

• ShelleyM
    • ShelleyM
Re: Cyanoacrylate Glue
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 11:16:20 AM »
As far as I know the formular in the US is the same as in the UK.

I use superglue. Some I find work better than others, some clog up more. Some people prefer the gel superglue stuff. Perhaps someone else can chime in with a specific recommendation. The one I've used in the past and quite like is called 'fixall', but I can't find it anymore. I've just bought some 'ultraloc' ultimate strength superglue. But haven't had a chance to try it yet. I do prefer a 2 part epoxy than superglue, but sometimes superglue is the stuff you need.

Just do be careful with it. I usually find I'm doing very tricky intricate things that require superglue, and those are just the sort of things that can glue fingers together! Hence my preference to epoxy if at all possible.
Shelley

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 01:54:13 PM »
I'm with Shelley - if you can use a 2 part epoxy, it's better all round. But as she said, sometimes superglue is preferable.

Whenever you are gluing, try to sand the parts that are to be glued, then clean them down with some meths. This will ensure they are dust and grease free and the sanding will roughen the surfaces, so the glue can grab on really well.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

shelleym

• ShelleyM
    • ShelleyM
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 03:43:59 PM »
Emma - you are obviously a meths gal! I use surgical spirit. Still does the job! There is something about meths I really don't like.

Shelley

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 04:07:43 PM »
Emma - you are obviously a meths gal! I use surgical spirit. Still does the job! There is something about meths I really don't like.

Shelley

ROFL - yup, I use a lot of meths for cleaning, both in my clay work and in the glass shed. It's great for cleaning out brushes when used with liquid polyclays too - its great stuff! But I agree, not if you don't like the smell. Like you point out though - there's always alternatives.

I don't think I would like the smell of surgical spirits all the time either though - would remind me of getting my ears pierced, which I did rather a lot in my teens

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies