EJR Beads

Author Topic: Target Market  (Read 4329 times)

LAC

Target Market
« on: January 14, 2013, 09:28:24 PM »
Hi Everyone!

l am having trouble defining my target market.

In November l started doing shows for the first time and l found that my main admirers were children/teenagers and middle aged women. l am so used to looking at my jewellery that even l don't know how l would describe by style any more.

If anyone could look at my jewellery and charms page and offer some suggestions then that would be really appreciated. l am feeling confused about where l am heading to.

lauraxx Thank you ???

http://www.etsy.com/shop/KireinaJewellery

http://sweetcharmsbykireina.tumblr.com/

MilleD

Re: Target Market
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 08:16:36 AM »
Hmm, it's quite difficult isn't it?

I think your second link is definately more attractive to young people but I'm almost 40 (I don't think that makes me middle aged  :)) and I'd definately wear some of the items in the first link.

I think gone are the days when there was a clear divide on what it was and wasn't acceptable for people of a certain age to wear, and whilst it doesn't help you define a target audience, it also doesn't limit accessibility either.

The only thing for me on your etsy site is that the banner looks very young.  Maybe that would deter older buyers, maybe not.   

Why are you trying to define the market at all - is it to do with targetting advertising or just getting yourself in the right places?

ilkidesigns

• Ilki designs
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 08:38:41 AM »
Hi Laura
I had a look at both your sites.  Some very nice things.  Personally these are things that I would probably give as gifts to young people, however, I am retired so may be right out of your possible target area.
I do agree with Millie though, does it matter?  I guess what really matters is that there is a market for the lovely things you make, who ever that might be.
Gail
 :D

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 09:21:26 AM »
Poo - I did a long post to this last night and must have deleted rather than posting it. Rats. Will try to reply again later when more awake!

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 12:59:46 PM »
When I looked at your work, my gut feel was that your jewellery page was young and trendy, but not TOO young. I envisaged art students, young creative types starting out in their career, possibly middled aged ladies too - but those with a very contemporary or artistic flair rather than those with a more conservative nature.

With your charms page, it seemed to me the audience would be somewhat younger - younger teens and pre-teens, or older students into that whole kitsch / kawaii thing.

Those are my gut feels - but that is just one opinion. Ultimately only you can work out who your target audience is by seeing who buys it, who admires it etc.

Also, think who you WANT your target audience to be? What do you enjoy making? Is it more important to make what you want and then hunt out an audience for it? or is it easier to tailor your making to the immediate audience you have?

in other words....

say you have a shop or a regular market / fair, gallery placement etc? The people that come into that sales venue will, by and large, be a relatively fixed audience. You can change them to a degree by your pricing and what you sell. But if the market you seek isn't living near by, you'll be unlikely to attract them.
So with that type of selling, it makes sense to look at the typical customer, isolate what she wants and then provide it for her.

If on the other hand, your selling options are very flexible - maybe you sell online or haven't yet established where you will be selling, you can instead look at who you want WANT as a target audience based on what you enjoy making and then go and find where  / how those people buy.

If you have a facebook business page, the stats can be useful as they will tell you the demographics of your visitors. I am able to isolate from that the target age of my demographic which does tally very well with who I know to be my customers

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

ickledookie

• Angie Wirral UK
    • Bead Me Up Buttercup
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 01:36:21 PM »
Emma can you please do that for me, I've always struggled with knowing what my style is etc.......pretty pleaseeeeeeeee??  ;D ;D ;D :-*

Peter

• Because together we got power
    • Mango Fizz Creations
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 01:55:37 PM »
Emma can you please do that for me, I've always struggled with knowing what my style is etc.......pretty pleaseeeeeeeee??  ;D ;D ;D :-*

You don't have style Angie....you have CLASS!!!!    :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

ickledookie

• Angie Wirral UK
    • Bead Me Up Buttercup
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 02:59:45 PM »

You don't have style Angie....you have CLASS!!!!    :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

LMAO oh man that made me laugh so much I nearly spat my drink out!!!

LAC

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 08:05:29 PM »
Thank you everyone for your kind advice and response!
Part of the reason l was asking was for advertising and marketing purposes.
At the moment l am re evaluating my style and what l will be making for the year ahead.  Emma you are so sweet.
The tree earings l currently sell were bought by a mum for her18yr old daughter, who saw them and loved them.  The next time l sold them was to a 50 something year old woman.  Most interesting. ;D

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 09:32:40 AM »
Laura, I don't sell and I don't have a website or blog, so I can't really comment from a seller point of view. But I will comment as a consumer.  I find your Etsy site very appealing.  It's fun and modern and I like that.  Regarding your blog, I like it too, I think it's sweet,which is obviously the look you were aiming for, but it is very different to your Etsy site.  When I look at the two of them I wouldn't put them together.  Having said that, I don't even know if having them compliment each other is all that important anyway, maybe it's a good thing to have two different looks so you can target a wider audience.  Ummm, sorry I haven't been very helpful have I?

Mel  :)

LAC

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 02:33:26 PM »
Thank you MelMcG!!

The whole reason l have a blog catalogue is because the 2 styles are different and l don't want to put the charms in my Etsy shop.

l thought l would test the waters by having a space for people to see the charms so l chose Tumblr as it has a very young audience. l aim to have a separate shop for the charms on Storeenvy in Spring. 8)

JudithEllie

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 05:23:37 AM »
Hi Laura,
I agree with Mel. I love the etsy site, and would definitely wear the jewellery. I'm 43 by the way. As you say on your banner, fun, bright and bold is the style. I think it would also appeal to a younger audience- 18+ as well. The other site is so very different and I think would  those products are more suited for a younger 10+ market, or adults buying presents for girls.
I don't sell yet, so this is from a consumer point of view, but I'd keep them separate as they are so very different. Probably not much help to you, but my thoughts.

Judith Ellie x

Di

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 02:27:21 PM »
Just looked at your etsy and I think your style is great - I think it would appeal to anyone who loves colour and patterns. I love the tree earrings and I am 46 by the way  :)

Di x