EJR Beads

Author Topic: toaster oven  (Read 8667 times)

sharon

toaster oven
« on: August 31, 2012, 05:55:35 PM »
hi all, does any one use a toaster oven and if so do you recommend one

thanks xx
Thank You Sharon XX

Elizabeth Campbell

• Elizabeth Campbell Jewellery
Re: toaster oven
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 07:55:24 PM »
Hi Sharon,

I don't use a toaster oven.  Although I would LOVE to have a reliable small oven to use that's just dedicated for polyclay use.  I've read a lot of reviews, and done a lot of internet searches and have not yet heard of one that seems entirely suitable...  But maybe someone else here on the forum has found it! :D  I did actually buy one a long while back, but the temperature varies hugely around the oven and is prone to sudden spikes in temperature too, resulting in damaged polyclay.

So at the moment I'm using my own ordinary gas oven to bake polyclay.  And yes, I use it for food too.  Though not at the same time.... :o 

If anyone has suggestions for a reliable, non spiking, small oven then I want to hear about it too!  :)

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 08:22:07 PM »
I tried a toaster oven too - I guess the clue was in the "toast" bit so I shouldn't have been surprised by the sudden tremendous blasts of heat from the elements  ::)  ;D

MelMcG

• Mel
    • Cherryhill Studio
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 08:57:18 PM »
Hi Sharon,

I don't use a toaster oven.  Although I would LOVE to have a reliable small oven to use that's just dedicated for polyclay use.  I've read a lot of reviews, and done a lot of internet searches and have not yet heard of one that seems entirely suitable...  But maybe someone else here on the forum has found it! :D  I did actually buy one a long while back, but the temperature varies hugely around the oven and is prone to sudden spikes in temperature too, resulting in damaged polyclay.

So at the moment I'm using my own ordinary gas oven to bake polyclay.  And yes, I use it for food too.  Though not at the same time.... :o 

If anyone has suggestions for a reliable, non spiking, small oven then I want to hear about it too!  :)

I dito literally everything Elizabeth has said.  :)

Mel  :)

Bev

• Bev
    • Tamar Jewellery and Beads
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 09:15:56 PM »
Halogen ovens   8)  Rock steady temps  :) Not as small as a toaster, but I have mine on in my front room, easy to keep an eye on the temp there rather than to & fro to the kitchen. Best thing I bought  :)

Elizabeth Campbell

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 09:34:19 PM »
Halogen ovens   8)  Rock steady temps  :) Not as small as a toaster, but I have mine on in my front room, easy to keep an eye on the temp there rather than to & fro to the kitchen. Best thing I bought  :)

Hi Bev, that sounds really good!  Thanks!   :)  But I just did a quick internet search and had a look at a load of halogen ovens.  They look kinda like elaborate goldfish bowls with cycle helmets on the top.  If it's not too daft a question...how do they work?  I mean...  (Actually, I'm not sure what I mean....!)  Ummm...do they have a little shelf that you put your work on....?  Totally clueless about the whole halogen thingy....... ???

sharon

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 09:35:35 PM »

how big is the one you got bev,as i was also looking at one of those as well saw one for 30.00

THANKS XX
Thank You Sharon XX

sharon

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 09:37:13 PM »

Hi Bev, that sounds really good!  Thanks!   :)  But I just did a quick internet search and had a look at a load of halogen ovens.  They look kinda like elaborate goldfish bowls with cycle helmets on the top.  If it's not too daft a question...how do they work?  I mean...  (Actually, I'm not sure what I mean....!)  Ummm...do they have a little shelf that you put your work on....?  Totally clueless about the whole halogen thingy....... ???

would also like to know, clueless on this as well lol xx
Thank You Sharon XX

dovile660

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 11:18:52 PM »
But isn't the minimum temp in halogen ovens 125 degrees?
Dovile

Bev

• Bev
    • Tamar Jewellery and Beads
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 12:05:49 AM »
Mine goes from 0-250 C.

They have a Halogen bulb in the lid & a fan that circulates the heat. Mine was supplied with 2 racks  - one sits 1/2" high (like the rack you stick your bread on under the grill  ;) ) & the other has longer "legs" so it can sit above the other one (if you get what I mean ???)

I tend to just use the lower rack, to keep things from getting too close to the heat source. You could tent your stuff with foil to protect it  :-\

I will use an old, shallow, metal pie dish with cornflour in to place round beads in, or the beadrack does fit in. I also use a 6" ceramic tile & I have some narrow offcuts that are useful to fill spaces. Keep meaning to knock off the corners so they are a better fit in the bottom  ;)

Beware of excess wind  :o I once placed some small flat pieces in the bottom, on paper on a tile. Turned the oven on & it all started blowing around the oven  :o That's one of the reasons for using the cornflour - stops small round beads blowing around if not on a beadrack  :D I try to make sure there are some heavier pieces holding down any paper as well - or a strategically placed oven thermometer  ;) ;D

Peter

• Because together we got power
    • Mango Fizz Creations
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 08:42:36 AM »
Beware of excess wind  :o

Mmmpphhhphphphpsssstttt....... ;) ;) ;)

Peter

• Because together we got power
    • Mango Fizz Creations
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 08:47:16 AM »
I use a small worktop convection oven that I purchased from a well known high street retailer.  Its about 26L and although it spikes to start off with (I always use an oven thermometer and I take it up to 100degrees initially) once it settles down it holds a constant temperature. I use a baking tray on the top rack to deflect the direct heat and bake on the bottom rack.

monkey ann

• Illuminati
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 10:20:04 AM »
I started off with a Sabichi toaster over and yes is does spike.  I then got a magimix (again toaster) oven off of 'freecycle', it is very old and I have not seen another one like it.  My reason for mentioning it is that it is a lot bigger, with a 7" gap between shelf and element.  The extra space keeps the work from getting scorched so easily.  In this case size does matter!  I also cover my pieces with fibre fill wadding (sometimes used for quilting).

I was oven monitor at Melanie Muir's workshop in June, with lots of borrowed ovens.  All the halogen ovens worked well, one stood out better than the others, it was digitally controlled and the temp set was the temp you got.  All the others had dial temp controls, none of these were calibrated right, but once they were set using the thermometer inside, they would have been fine, except for one or two helpful individuals, turning them down.  One problem with the halogen ovens is they don't work so well with lots in them, they need space for the wind to blow around, this was probably more of an issue on the workshop, with the large amounts waiting to be baked.  I have heard that using both shelves at the same time doesn't work either, with the lower shelf not getting baked properly

I have a friend who uses a combination microwave oven (not on microwave setting), which she says is brilliant.  I will be meeting up with most of these oven owners on Sunday, we are having our bi-monthly meeting in Croydon, and will ask for details on these two ovens.  Watch this space.   

Ann 
Ann from Croydon, Surrey

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 12:07:28 PM »
I have tried countless tabletop ovens - expensive and cheap and found them all pants. Too much spiking, too much babysitting to get the temp right.

But I am a total convert to halogen ovens which hold the heat a lot more reliably. So Elizabeth, I would really recommend you check them out - even if, like me, you had lost all faith in finding a suitable small and portable oven.

When I am baking my art beads, I might have several hundred pounds worth of beads baking at one time - so I just couldn't afford to take risks. But with the halogen oven I have no worries. I still do common sense stuff like keep an eye on it, check that it reaches the right temp and then set the dial to turn off at that point (because the sweet spot on the dial does alter depending on how full the oven is etc) but that is really the only small amount of babysitting it needs and it has been fine.

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Elizabeth Campbell

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 05:46:42 PM »
I have tried countless tabletop ovens - expensive and cheap and found them all pants. Too much spiking, too much babysitting to get the temp right.

But I am a total convert to halogen ovens which hold the heat a lot more reliably. So Elizabeth, I would really recommend you check them out - even if, like me, you had lost all faith in finding a suitable small and portable oven.

Emma

Well, I've taken your advice, Emma...  I've read countless reviews of halogen ovens and have now just ordered one...  Yikes!  Feel a bit nervous, actually!  :o  Better go and clear some space in my teensy little studio for it to live (blimey, that'll be a challenge! ;D )