EJR Beads

Author Topic: Hi from your Mod!  (Read 5855 times)

ejralph

• Administrator
  • They're not people, they're Hippies
    • EJR Beads
Hi from your Mod!
« on: March 26, 2011, 04:39:12 PM »
Hi there!

Just thought I would start off by introducing myself to you all.

My name is Emma Ralph. Many of you know me already of course from EJR Beads, the online polymer clay and bead business I run. I also work as an art bead maker, using polymer clay of course and also glass and ceramic clays.

I first started using polymer clay in earnest well over 20 years now. I was passionate about beads and jewellery-making since childhood. In my teens, I was especially fond of the antique glass Trade beads (still am) which led me to try making my own versions from Fimo. The rest, as they say, was history. As you know polymer clay is HIGHLY addictive. Once you get started it's very hard to stop!

Over the years I have just come to love polymer clay more and more - ending up selling it, writing about it etc. There are just so many different ways to use polymer clay, that I don't really feel I have even touched the surface yet. And that is the sign of a great medium I think - one that you know can keep your attention for a lifetime.

So what about you? How did you come by polymer clay? What do you use it for, what are your favourite techniques etc? Please introduce yourself! You can join in here, or start your own new topic - whatever you prefer, it would be great to hear from you!

Emma
Emma from Sunny Sussex, UK
www.ejrbeads.co.uk Projects, articles, bead galleries & more
www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop Art beads, clay & jewellery supplies

Shirley

Re: Hi from your Mod!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 01:59:37 PM »
Hi, I'm Shirley. I'm new to polymer clay, but have enjoyed making jewellery for about 5 or 6 years now. I always feel that what makes an interesting piece of jewellery is having just the right bead/beads as a focal point, and of course you can never buy exactly the right colour or shape! That's what led me to polymer clay really - the thought of being able to create exactly what I had in mind (well, to be honest, close-ish!!!). (And sometimes not even close....)

I'm still very much a beginner and looking forward to learning a lot here. Expect lots of daft questions  :) So far I've only managed to make one set of beads that I'm really pleased with - I'll get a photo put up of them so you can see - all constructive comments very welcome.

:)

Shirley
Shirley

Wolfie75

• www.clairwolfedesigns.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 02:07:51 PM »
I am Clair,
self taught jewellery maker, have only dabbled in polymer, but it is something I am interested in getting better at (Not sure I could get worse!!)
Look forward to chatting with you all.xx
Clair Wolfe
Hand Crafted Jewellery

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 02:08:57 PM »
Welcome Shirley, welcome Clair. Thank you both for joining and helping us set out the furniture!

Emma

Fiona

• Illuminati
    • WINIBI
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 02:32:38 PM »
Hi All,

I'm Fiona and like Clair I'm a self taught jewellery designer/maker.  I also make other things with different mediums including of course polymer clay.

I first tried out polymer clay about 17 years ago as a hobby whilst looking for a job after Uni' and then when I got a job packed it all away and never tried it again until about 3 years ago.  I now love it although I still feel very much a newbie at using it as I've been very stop start with it for the past three years.  However I have started to use it more frequently now so this forum couldn't have come at a better time.  ;D

Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing all the gorgeousness you guys post on here and learning lots of tips and tricks from you all as well.  Hopefully I'll be able to return the favour a few times too.

Fiona

Ultraviolet

• Debbie
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 02:40:49 PM »
Hi

I'm Debbie I'm also self taught, I have used polymer clay but not much. I first used it when I was 8 or 9 years old (I think), I used to buy it in a shop that's no longer in town. Anyway I tried again last year but it was a bit of a hit & miss. So I'm in need of tips & confidence to try & not be afraid to if it goes wrong.

Debbie
If you can't find me its possible I'm watching TV!

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 05:29:47 PM »
Welcome Fiona, Welcome Debbie!

Debbie - you are not alone in lacking confidence with the clay. I really cannot tell you how many times people have told me they have clay at home and haven't had the nerve to open the packet and try it out.

But I always tell people, if you don't like what you make, you don't HAVE to bake it! Squish it up, re-do it, use it as scrap etc. Only bake it when you are happy. The clay doesn't dry out, so there is never any rush to complete a project afterall.

Emma

oncejewellery

• I love beads :-)
    • Once Designer Jewellery
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 03:00:05 PM »
Hello! I'm Amanda and I started using Polymer clay about a year ago. I love making beads to use in my own jewellery and also make jewellery using other people's beads, including Emma's! I can't wait to see you guys' work on here.

Amanda xx

ejralph

• Administrator
    • EJR Beads
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 07:21:45 PM »
Hi Amanda

It's great to see you here, welcome

Emma

ladamemo

• bury treasure
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 09:42:04 AM »
Hello everyone, i'm carrie, another self taught jewellery maker!

i started making jewellery about 19 years ago but then packed it away and then discovered my small tool box of beads about 3 years ago and have been hooked ever since, i have been exploring all types of mediums including silver clay copper clay and of course polymer clay, i love the stuff although finding time is an issue now i have 3 children the youngest of which is only 8 weeks old!!

i love the different effects you can get with polymer clay and am so excited about being able to learn and share on this forum!

carrie - nuts but not a nutter!!

BlueDaisy

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 11:11:04 PM »
Maura here :)
I'm also self taught jewellery maker, using and experimenting with all different mediums.
I've been fiddling with beads for about 7 years now. I work part time but would love to be full time self employed. Maybe after next week I can take the leap. I'm at BCTF from Sunday :) so hopefully I'll get lots of orders ;D

mjbw

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 08:17:22 AM »
Hi everyone, Melanie here.

I'm one of Emma's nags - the people who drive her mad asking asking asking (and buying buying buying) - and at the moment my clay mojo is on the up  ;)

Along with claying I also do peyote beadweaving, chainmaille, and bead crochet.

I live in Cambridge with my hubby and 3 cats, and recently got told I'm being made redundant (boo), but I'm not letting that get me down - I just think of it as more clay-play time  ;D

8)
Melanie.
"Bother" said the Borg, as they assimilated Pooh

SilverPaw

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 09:02:16 AM »
Hi, I'm Anna (Sandycat on the Crafts Forum for those who visit that)
I am also a self taught jewellery maker and am in my thrid year making and selling jewellery. I started making beads with polymer clay just before Christmas and I am addicted (and so is my boyfriend).
We have found our fairs this year have been a huge success (so far) and I am sure the addition of our own range of beads is largely responsible!

Anyway, looking forward to chatting on the forum x

cornishclayer

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 09:38:20 AM »
Marian Saunders here - intermittent polyclayer and jewellery maker down in Cornwall.  I've been making my own beads for 4 years or so and having lots of fun.  I love the amazing versatility of clay that allows you to achieve so many completely different effects.  Sometimes I really dislike this characteristic too - I think I've settled on a 'look' for my work, but then something glitzy catches my eye and I think 'oh that would be fun to try' and I'm off in a totally different direction again!  Hey ho never dull.

Thanks for starting the forum Emma.

What I'd like to get much better at is finishing off (quick glance to pile of beads sitting by the kitchen sink waiting.....and waiting......) through to making my own findings.

Marian

Deborahf

• Deborah Franks
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 10:05:18 AM »
Hi,
I'm Deborah another self taught clay addict. I now also teach others, as I feel it is my duty to spread the word and let everyone know what a great material polymer clay is. I think I am possibly a bit of a polymer clay bore as well. So it is great to have a forum for like minded people who know what I'm getting so excited about.

Deborah