EJR Beads

Author Topic: Stuff I'm working on  (Read 41722 times)

JamesTheSculptor

• The Thoughts of James the Person
Re: Stuff I'm working on
« Reply #315 on: March 10, 2018, 01:46:22 PM »

As Peter Capaldi's final episode as the Twelfth Doctor Who approached I knew I wanted to make something to mark it, but had no idea what to do.
Or rather had a very clear idea but left it too late to actually do it! As it was just too complicated to pull off in that time.
Then as I flicked through the hundreds of reference pics I have for Capaldi, I found a great picture of him from one of his first photoshoots for the show. He was looking down the barrel of the camera and had his hand across his chest and suddenly I was reminded of the cover to David Bowie's album 'Heroes' and when that hit me I knew I was on to something. Like it was meant to be, and I think it came out very nicely indeed.

In fact this piece and the David Bradley sculpture were both featured in the latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine which is quite exciting. I emailed them a couple pics a while ago (and have sent plenty of stuff over the years) but got no word back and thought "Ho hum. Never mind" and was resigned to having been forgotten, then the day after the issue came out, a friend buzzed me on Facebook asking if I'd seen the new issue, which I hadn't, but this gave me an instant feeling that maybe I *had* been featured and that this guy was seeing if I'd known. I didn't want to ask straight out if I was or not in case I wasn't and I seemed over keen!

On to this year and more or less the first thing I made. To coincide with it being two years since David Bowie died.
Not one of my best, but I think definitely has something of him in it.

Jodie Whittaker as the 13th Doctor Who. I'm really so looking forward to sculpting her again. This is the second sculpt I've made of her and the first of her actually in her wonderful rainbow costume. I can not wait for her first series and the sculptures it will get out of me!

JamesTheSculptor

« Reply #316 on: March 10, 2018, 01:55:25 PM »

I am a huge fan of Michael Palin, in fact you could say he was my hero and I'm very happy to say that he is.
Mainly for his general personality and his many wonderful travel shows over his history with Monty Python which is now almost just a footnote in a lengthy and prolific career.
I wanted to sculpt Palin for a while and have done with varying success. This is one of my more successful version and I will definitely return to him soon. He has one of those.
I actually messaged the official Michael Palin site with a link to the sculpture and a while later got a polite email from his office saying he was currently busy writing a book but when he is next in the office they'll show him.
Who knows what will come from that if anything at all, but the fact they got back to me is greatly promising.

And now for something completely different.
I grew up with Wallace and Gromit and the general work of Aardman Animations. Indeed its where my love of playing with clay started. I wanted to do something new and so thought I'd make the character Ginger form Chicken Run.
I forgot how tricky those ruddy things are to make!

Another piece of Twin Peaks themed work. I was really taken with Laura Dern's performance and presence as the mysterious Diane in series 3 of Twin Peaks and felt the urge to sculpt her.
Rather challenging this piece, but I think it came out very nicely indeed.

One of my favourite comedy people, Rik Mayall, would have been 60 this year if he hadn't selfishly died.
So I wanted to make something for it.
I have such great memories of recreating sense from The Young Ones and Bottom with my best friend when we were kids, and we still do!
The original of this sculpt was extremely different and was disappointing me enormously. I felt resigned to it really and was ready to put it off as a bad job, then one day fate stepped in and it rolled off my table and got squashed a little.
Not a disaster, but enough to mean it would need to be almost completely reworked. This basically forced my hand and made me reappraise it.
It was hugely liberating and perhaps a subconscious act of self-sabotage, but it worked out and I now love the piece.

JamesTheSculptor

« Reply #317 on: March 10, 2018, 02:00:36 PM »

Douglas Adams is one of my absolute favourite writers, and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy one of my favourite things of all time. Indeed its possible its what inspired my love of radio and sound and stuff like that.
Anyway, this year was the 40th anniversary of the first broadcast of the radio series on BBC Radio 4 and to mark it the BBC have made and are running a new radio series based loosely on Eoin Colfer's book "And Another Thing" and ties in tonnes of original Douglas Adams bits and pieces that were unpublished. Performed with the original radio cast.
I wanted to do something, so I extremely hastily knocked up a sketch of Douglas and made myself my very own Babelfish, to avoid all that tedious mucking about with learning a foreign language.

And that's pretty much me up to date!
Thank you for sticking with me for this, and I shall be back soon with more whatever I'm working on!

Hope you like!

MilleD

« Reply #318 on: March 18, 2018, 08:47:51 AM »
I'm currently re-reading Life, the Universe and Everything, and as soon as I scrolled down I thought "Babelfish"!

Wouldn't it be amazing to have one in real life?

JamesTheSculptor

« Reply #319 on: March 22, 2018, 09:22:20 PM »
I'm currently re-reading Life, the Universe and Everything, and as soon as I scrolled down I thought "Babelfish"!

Wouldn't it be amazing to have one in real life?

Funnily enough that was the last one I read! Admittedly a long while ago, but I like it very much. The Krikkitmen was great fun and the radio version of it (The Tertiary Phase) was the first I listened to live. In fact I remember it came out whilst I was on a family holiday to Calais.
My dad's radio couldn't pick up British radio, and this was before good internet connection so I had to listen- of all places- in the car because the car's radio could strangely pick up the British radio channel it broadcast on.
I remember it really vividly and fondly.

A Babelfish have been useful on holiday for sure!

JamesTheSculptor

« Reply #320 on: April 06, 2018, 05:36:09 PM »
So a couple weeks back- or actually before that- I had a rather tricky commission.
A guy I do work for asked me to make a bust of Peter Cushing as Dr. Who from the movie 'Dr. Who and the Daleks' from 1965. A film I love and and terribly familiar with.
What he wanted was a recreation of the very first scene which involves Dr. Who reading a comic and saying "Most exciting!" to himself. A scene that I've always thought was lovely and never seen done before anywhere else, especially in sculpture.
So I went away feeling acutely excited and also extremely nervous about the task I had been given, but I had a feeling I could pull it off.
It was an extremely fiddly job and pushed me quite a lot.
There weren't tears as such, but definitely a lot of worrying and thinking the piece would not come together.
Not just the initial and perennial worries I have about a likeness working, but also the problem of one of his arms becoming loose as I worked on it and the rather irritating issue of snapping practically all his fingers off!
Making the little comic itself was huge fun, if also a source of frustration. Waiting on someone to get back to you with the front and back cover of the comic was tense and in the end I had to extemporise and make do with what I could find. I think it looks rather smart anyway.
Anyway, all those annoyances were fixed and you can't tell where there may have been a breakage, which caused me no end of relief!
It was definitely the biggest and most challenging piece I've ever produced and I have to say it was rather sad to say goodbye to it!
Anyway, here he is!
"Most exciting!"

JamesTheSculptor

« Reply #321 on: April 06, 2018, 05:39:20 PM »
On to a more recent piece.
I wanted to try sculpting Michael Palin again, but this time in full colour rather than the simple Super Sculpey-only sculpt I did a little while back.
I have to say- and I'm not prone to saying this- I'm extremely pleased with this piece and think it might be one of the best things I've made for a long time.

Very happy to know I've sculpted my hero properly!

JamesTheSculptor

« Reply #322 on: April 06, 2018, 05:43:45 PM »
-And just one more thing!
I have finally caved and got myself an Instagram account, so if you're interested do please check me out!

https://www.instagram.com/jamesthesculptor/

Thanks!

Beadbug

« Reply #323 on: April 20, 2018, 11:31:35 PM »
Brilliant work James. Quite lovely likeness of Peter, the comic is stunning, very well done!