EJR Beads

Author Topic: Stuff I'm working on  (Read 31154 times)

Carrie

• Beads from the Coast
Re: Stuff I'm working on
« Reply #300 on: August 08, 2017, 04:08:11 PM »
Great stuff, James!
What a lovely letter.

JamesTheSculptor

• The Thoughts of James the Person
« Reply #301 on: August 31, 2017, 10:17:11 AM »
Great stuff, James!
What a lovely letter.

Thank you! It really is. I wrote to him back in 2012 I believe and didn't tell anyone because I didn't expect to get a reply. I included a stamped addressed envelope (So they didn't have to pay for the stamp to return it) with my name and address in my own hand. And that was it, posted it and forgot about it.
Then I went to Paris I think it was with my family for a few days, and when I got home there it was, waiting for me.
The stamped addressed envelope with my name and address written in my own hand. I knew instantly that it has in the very least had been received.
So this was a great pleasure and something I hold very dear. Very very glad I did it.

JamesTheSculptor

« Reply #302 on: August 31, 2017, 10:29:34 AM »
A couple pieces, well two actually.

First up, Gillian Anderson as Scully from The X Files, based on how she looked in the episode Darkness Falls, where she is hoisted up into a tree to examine a massive Human-sized cocoon. Bit of fun, and terribly frustrating too. The making of the "rope" rigging was really fun I have to say, just usual hairy string which I stapled into a really basic cardboard rig to keep them tawt and then painted with PVA glue to smartened them up and give them some rigidity. Wasn't too sure it would work to be honest, but it did brilliantly. The frustration came from the actual likeness, it worked nicely, until I baked it when it rolled over and squashed the nose which really annoyed me. Sad really. I tried to save it and just about managed it, but it lost the subtlety it originally had.
When something goes wrong with a sculpt like this I never know what to do. I want to upload the piece and show it off, but also say that something went wrong, I just worry it'd sound like I was making excuses!
Anyway! Here's the sculpt.

And secondly, going back in time with this one.
Gerald Harper as Adam Adamant from the BBC series "Adam Adamant Lives!" about an Edwardian gentleman adventurer frozen in a block of ice in 1902, then re-awoken in 1966 in swinging London.
A fun series, if a little rubbish at the same time.
I'm actually really happy with this piece. I think it came together very smartly.

Hope you like!

Beadbug

« Reply #303 on: September 10, 2017, 11:43:18 PM »
Like very much! Used to watch Adam Adamant as a kid and can still remember the theme tune. Memorable as one of the formative experiences that lead to my love of all things Sci-fi.

JamesTheSculptor

« Reply #304 on: September 15, 2017, 02:27:08 PM »
Like very much! Used to watch Adam Adamant as a kid and can still remember the theme tune. Memorable as one of the formative experiences that lead to my love of all things Sci-fi.

A great theme tune, if a little wobbly, I'm glad he helped you on your way down that path.
Very glad you like him too!
Thanks!

JamesTheSculptor

« Reply #305 on: September 15, 2017, 02:35:31 PM »
Been a little busy with a couple commissions, in fact I might as well start there.
Got an email from a super fan who wanted a little bust of Lou Reed, which was good fun, if a bit of a challenge!

The shades were great fun to make and really set the piece off nicely I think. The client seemed reasonably happy with it too.

Next up, the novelist John le Carre.
I've been a huge fan of his for several years now and was very lucky to see him give a rare speech and interview surrounding the release of his latest book "A Legacy of Spies"
He was fascinating to watch and I felt extremely lucky to be in his presence.
I felt inspired and decided to sculpt him again after my first attempt from a couple years back has since begun to look a little primitive.

As I get older, he becomes an increasingly steady figure of intelligence, reason and reassurance in this wild age.
I'm actually, rather surprisingly, extremely happy with how it turned out and decided against refining the details with paint or whathaveyou. I thought the simplicity could speak for itself.

Anyway, hope you like!

Beadbug

« Reply #306 on: September 15, 2017, 10:13:22 PM »
You've brilliantly captured his thoughtful expression, excellent as per usual.

ian harding

• Fimo Zey The Mouse Stop Motion Animation
« Reply #307 on: September 18, 2017, 07:39:18 PM »
hey james your sculptures are incredible :)

I would like to share my Fimo clay characters in a stop motion film,  'zey the mouse' new characters include, 'Claus Crocodile' in a raincoat, 'P.C Bulldog', 'Teddy', a 'black mouse' with electric blue hair, and 'Mr. Scottie' the dog and also 'Mr. Bear' all with hand made clothes, the animation is set in London with hand made sets.

hope you enjoy? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL1i7pTLSkc

JamesTheSculptor

« Reply #308 on: September 19, 2017, 09:22:42 AM »
Hi Ian, thank you!

Your work is so charming and you've put so much work into everything. Wonderful.
I actually studied animation for four years and stop motion was very much my thing.
Unfortunately it's not really for me these days, but given the time and equipment etc, I would love to get back into it with an idea I have.

My little student films are here if you fancy a look!
https://vimeo.com/gingered

JamesTheSculptor

« Reply #309 on: September 29, 2017, 09:48:33 AM »
Hello all. Couple bits for you.
Recently finished a new commission, another Lou Reed, this time based on the cover for the album "Sally Can't Dance"

And secondly something I started a while go and finished only the other week.
Today being the 50th Anniversary of The Prisoner, here is Patrick McGoohan who starred and pretty much created the show.
A bizarre show, but I love it to bits.

Anyway, hope you like!